• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which 5 TON is the best option for a toy?

Im about to pull the trigger on a M52A2 with winch.
Only problem is, I want to buy ALL the 5 ton series.
So tell me which one you got, when, why and are you satisfied? I want to hear all about your grocery getters.

fasttruck

M 809 series have better power steering and seats than their predecessors and a more powerful engine which can be harder to start in cold weather. They are also at least 10 years newer. Brakes, rest of driveline and suspension are the same. Drove both M52 and 818 tractors in service and preferred 818s for their steering. The real gems were the M52A1 Macks. They pulled harder than an A2 and ran faster (at least on level ground) than a M818. A 809 series also requires 4 batteries instead of 2 and car batteries will not work well in the winter.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M39 series trucks seem fairly rare these days, or at least you don't see a lot of them coming up for sale. They can be found...but for obvious reasons, the M809 and M939 series are more prevalent. I like the M39 series (on which the M52 is based). I think it would be a great truck for a collector. While FASTTRUCK is partially right about the steering in that the M39 series generally has power steering that is not as good as on the M809, many of the M39 series trucks were upgraded to the "newer" Ross power steering found on the M809 series. I've had both and I agree with FASTTRUCK that the Ross is better, but the older power steering works fine. In fact, if you did not know any better, you would be happy with it. I like the sound of the multifuel engine with the 5 ton turbo...very throaty for a 478CI engine. Which transmission does it have? Does it have the overdrive transmission? The OD transmission will give you better highway speed, but the direct drive transmission provides more power throughout the gears. I once had an M543A2 with the latter transmission, and that truck would pull hard through all gears (once you got that mass of steel moving). But, top speed was 47 MPH, as opposed to probably 52-55 MPH with the OD transmission. In the end, I would make my decision on (in this order) condition, which truck I liked the best, and price. Good luck.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the shorter turn radius of the tractor or dump truck because they are shorter frames. Around town for getting groceries, the maneuverability of the shorter wheel base really matters. My 817 was a great truck but my wife could drive the M929A2 (not that she wants to).

Scrounger

Bruce’s suggestion of condition, liked best, and price is spot on.

Each series has its pluses and minuses. The M39 series are getting scarce, however they are the simplest design. The transmission is a five speed direct.

The 800 series have a Cummins engine that doesn’t have a turbo, so it is somewhat slow to speed. Unlike the M39 series it has a PCB (protection control box) that tends to cause problems at the most inopportune time. The transmission is a five speed with fifth being overdrive. Both the M39 and 800 series usually have 9:00 x 20 tires which makes tire work straight forward. Both are a little noisy, so it is advisable to wear hearing protection when operating. Both will run up to about 54 mph on the highway.

The M939 series have a larger cab, power steering, usually anti-lock brakes and factory heat. They also have a PCB with the same issues as the 800 series. M939 and M939A1 have the same engine as the 800 series. The M939A2s have a later turbo charged Cummins. The later trucks usually have super single tires that have their own joys. Add in the full air brake system and possibly CTIS (central tire inflation system) means there is a bunch of things to keep track of. One thing to remember with the M939 trucks is never go into reverse in low range. The M939 will go 62 mph on the highway, just remember it is not a sports car.

A clean M52A2 tractor is becoming a rare sight. Adding a small trailer would make it a more useful play toy.

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While I have never driven any other style of truck to compare it with, I do enjoy my M51A2. It's not fast. It's not quiet. But fun, just the same.

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Only one I have experience in is the 923. Something about it's crudness an simplicity appeals to me. The sounds and smells is all a part of the excitement. Mine is just a toy for me so I don't worry about what it can pull, just as long as I'm having fun. They are all fun

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Remember Ken. Some 939s can carry an LMTV faster than it can drive. Even your wrecker. Uphill even!

sandcobra164

My opinion is based on owning 2 M35A2's and a M923A0 on 14's. I've had the opportunity to operate LMTVs and HEMMT Wreckers thanks to the National Guard. I honestly like the M939 series since most everything on the early models is very simple. NHC-250 power is pretty good once you make some minor adjustments and these engines served the Country with distinction if you consider there operational history. Mine will charge a hill at 2,300 rpm's if I don't watch the tachometer and back it down a bit. With the newer trucks, everything is nice until an issue comes up. As a Private Collector it would come with an expensive trip to a dealership to get the issue resolved unless you are well connected. An earlier post stood out to me. An M52A1 Mack powered tractor would be awesome. I walked from 1 so equipped a few years ago due to lack of funds. The truck is still sitting in the same spot but I can't add to the collection without eliminating something.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wes I am getting older and in no hurry to get there fast.
The lmtv is warm,dry,comfy to drive and I don't need a 110 feet to make a circle.
A 939 with open diffs will get stuck easy. Sitting there spinning one tire. On the 6x6 lmtv all 6 tires are spinning.
I absolutely love this model of truck.
The wrecker is even better than my 1088 pulling trees I would have to yank them out the 88 wrecker hook chain drive away tree follows.

LCA078

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went after the M939 mainly for aesthetic and nostalgic reasons. It just looks and sounds like a military truck and it's what I remember as a brand new recruit. Current series trucks have more creature comforts but a big old boxy overgrown pickup truck was what I wanted. And my M939 is purely hobby so in order of buying preferences for me are 1) looks/series, 2) condition, then 3) price. The couple grand $$ here/there really doesn't really matter if you're buying what you want and it's not a hammered-out dog breaking down when you're out and about. Patience and research like you're doing will pay off.

Ajax MD

I won't offer an opinion on which is "best" but I'll offer the reasons for my choice:

I drove M35A2 and A3 and 939 series trucks in the Navy. After having an Allison transmission pack it up on US301 on a nearly-new truck, and watching all the CTIS fail on my unit's trucks, I decided that I wanted DEAD simple as a private owner: No turbo, no ABS, no automatic transmission, no CTIS. Ain't got money or skill to mess with all these "magic boxes."

I ended up with an M813. These came with 11.00X20 tires, not 9.00. These seem to be about as simple as you can get. All mechanical systems, they barely have an electrical system to speak of. The Cummins doesn't use an in-tank fuel pump. 5 speed manual with overdrive. I've read that sometimes the transfer case can have problems on the 809's. Power steering is the only concession to "comfort" and it least it seems simple.

I think the big "con" for these trucks is that the engine is old and truck shops aren't interested in working on them so you'll need to do most repairs yourself. Parts are available with some hunting.

74M35A2

I don’t like the cab-over look, and wanted top freeway speed. My M925a2 does 67mph all day long, 100% stock. Love the winch, CTIS, and turbo. Correct, turning radius licks. Oh well. It’s not a Honda Civic. Fun to hear other stories though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks