• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 roadside kit.

davidb56

I have to travel around 450+ miles to purchase a deuce. I would like to bring a roadside repair kit to fix it if it takes a dump on the way back. I will bring a couple jacks, some cribbing, 3 inch socket, socket set up to 1 3/4 inch, hand tools, antifreeze, water, diesel fuel, oil, gear oil, 16-10g wire and connectors, hurricane tape, electrical tape, grease, tire chains, and a chain come a long. I don't know the specific sizes of fuel line, water etc to repair it on the road. Also the size of inverted flare plug to isolate a individual brake. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
just some information
A few inverted flare plugs could be helpful, with good line wrenches, vise grips, and Kroil.
how to get home 1.jpghow to get home 2.jpghow to get home 3.jpg
I found this in my stuff
They might be like these tube nuts but you want the plugs.
41IFS-8 Inverted Flare Nut 1/2" Tube Size 3/4-18 Thread 3/4" Hex .508" ID

One does NOT know what fluid is in there already so the caution is to
DO NOT mix DOT 5 or DOT 3 or whatever is in there.
There is many simple quick tests to find what is in there already, that information is all here in SS.

See post #26 in here
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?130566-M135-Advice-please

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you are familiar with operating the M35A2 and simple maintenance procedures before driving back. Read the TMs. There are some significant differences between operating a deuce and other trucks. The first thing that gets new owners is the unique shift pattern. Make sure your master cylinder is full of brake fluid and make sure you top it off with the correct fluid. The military used DOT 5, but who knows what is in it now. In my opinion DOT 5 is superior. When checking the oil the engine should be warm. Turn the engine off and wait exactly one minute to pull the dipstick and check the oil. When I've recovered deuces, I got under the truck and checked the lubricant levels in all three axles, transmission and transfer case. I also checked all rubber brake line hoses for cracks. My recoveries were all significantly further than yours will be and I had no issues during the trips. However, the transmission in my first M35A2 started shelling teeth a matter of days after reaching home and I had to swap transmissions with a take-out. Good luck.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Honestly its mostly basic stuff I wouldn't worry about till it breaks down. Most any auto parts place should have it. Bearings and races, wheelcyls, not so much. Shoot me an address in a pm and I might be able to send a set of take-outs if time permits

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know the current status of the truck? Has it been maintained and driven by the current owner; or is it a barn find that has been sitting for unknown period of time. It looks like you have the tools/equipment ready, knowing the current status will help determine other needs; filters, lamps etc.
Good luck, be safe, report back.

davidb56

Ive been reading the manual on line that someone from this excellent site had posted. I can see 4th gear is in the wrong spot. hahaha...Its got the same pattern as a old water truck we had at work 20 years ago.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your mileage may vary, but once you have all the fluids topped up and lights checked, engine running, and air pressure up, I would drive it up to speed, maybe 25-30 mph and do a couple or more of very deliberate panic stops. I mean...pedal to the floor kinda stops.
First, you get a feel for how good the brakes are...or aren't. Lockup x 6? Great. Does the truck pull hard to one side? Maybe in need of a quick brake adjustment. Parking brake check?

If any lines or hoses are iffy, hopefully they break now, when you do the test stops with brake pressures much higher than what you would see during sedate, normal braking. Lets not have anything rupture when you actually have to emergency stop on the highway, already tired and half dazed from the incredible cab comfort in your new ride.

After the test stops take a flashlight and check all brake lines and hoses for swelling and leaks. Re-check master cylinder. Half empty now? Maybe brake fluid filling the airpack...

If this all checks out, I'd be a lot calmer with the new-to-me truck on the recovery trip.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

davidb56

the current owner "seems" to keep it up from his pictures. It has new tires, tank fuel pump, oil and fuel filters and a new seat. He offered to drive it up here for 3.00$ a mile both ways. So I'm confident that it is ready. I made 11 trips moving my family from Ca to N Idaho, 2200 mile round trips, so I like to be prepared as towing it to a repair shop isn't in my retirement budget. Thank you everyone with your replies. dave

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
Windshield wiper blades get no respect til they fail, unless it has a heater/defrost its hard enough to see out in the rain from the moisture on the inside. Had to stop and buy a roll of paper towels on one trip, started buying heater parts the next day.

ageregunner

Windshield wiper blades get no respect til they fail, unless it has a heater/defrost its hard enough to see out in the rain from the moisture on the inside. Had to stop and buy a roll of paper towels on one trip, started buying heater parts the next day.
Buy a spray bottle of Rain-X and coat the windshield. This stuff really works and will save you if wipers fail during a storm on your trip.

davidb56

forecast should be light snow all the way back and on asphalt roads. when I get within 12 miles of my place, its snow on a road/goat trail, plowed once a day...piece of cake.

rustystud

I know I'll get flack for it, but this is the best kit(minus wrenches) for a deuce. It has mostly 6 point sockets which is important IMHO. Make sure you get a full compliment of wrenches to go with it. You can pick it up for $180 with tax if you find it on sale or a coupon.

https://www.harborfreight.com/301-pc-mechanics-tool-set-63457.html
You won't get any flak from me on those tools. I've used Harbor Freight tools on several occasions. Considering on a run like this tools can get "misplaced" very easily. I'd rather loose a cheap wrench then one of my "Snap-On" wrenches ! I have a complete set of "Craftsman" I keep in the car. Their good enough to fix what is needed to get me home. It's not like you will be opening a "shop" on the side of the road !

fasttruck

Think about a breaker bar, cheater pipe and a jackstand for if you get a flat. If the lug nuts have been on for a long time they can be difficult to stir unless you bring a 1" impact wrench too. Check out attached pic:drastic measures.jpg

rustystud

Think about a breaker bar, cheater pipe and a jackstand for if you get a flat. If the lug nuts have been on for a long time they can be difficult to stir unless you bring a 1" impact wrench too. Check out attached pic:View attachment 756595
That's why you get the military "reduction lug nut remover". Using a long breaker bar with the reduction factor you can break loose almost any lug nut. It even holds the inner square drive lug nut while the outer nut is being removed. I own four of them, since I keep two on each truck.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may seem trivial, but whoever you have insurance with make sure you have some sort of towing/recovery plan with it. Might not need it for your trip & I hope you don't, but its a goof thing to have just in case.

13ronin

You won't get any flak from me on those tools. I've used Harbor Freight tools on several occasions. Considering on a run like this tools can get "misplaced" very easily. I'd rather loose a cheap wrench then one of my "Snap-On" wrenches ! I have a complete set of "Craftsman" I keep in the car. Their good enough to fix what is needed to get me home. It's not like you will be opening a "shop" on the side of the road !
Agreed! I dont think most of us are wrenching on this stuff professionally. Use your good tools for the stuff you do constantly and save your money when buying stuff you only need occasionally. Even my work box has harbor junk in it: stuff that's gonna get abused or likely to get lost/stolen I see no need in investing big money in. Honestly I might just have to get me that set for home when I have the extra cash.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Choppers

Tow bar, Jack, Jack stand, socket and breaker bar, fluids, air compressor, and phone numbers to those along your route that may offer assistance.

Also would get 3-4 cans of something to free up seized nuts and bolts.

Use a whole can on lug nuts before you leave an another later every day for several days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks