• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

choice between 1970 deuce or 1987 deuce.

davidb56

Im having to choose between the two. the 1970 belongs to a close friend who keeps his equipment up perfectly, and will deliver it for free. the 1987 is from a private party 477 miles away. The 87 has dual circuit brakes, air ride seat, drop down sides, and brand new Michelin xl tires. I may "bob" the one I get for snow plowing, or just plow the way it is. the roads are narrow up here, so maneuvering would be easier with one less axel. the 1970 is 2000$ cheaper, and looks like new. it was bought by him about 15-20 years ago in Utah at a military base auction. He personally inspected it. I don't know much about the 87, except for the pictures he sent me. The drive back has me concerned as I have many long miles pulling grades from Portland to Bonners Ferry, then goat trail the rest of the way. Im not intending to use this truck for anything but a few 50 mile trips for lumber, and the rest is just firewood and snow plowing. What is your view?

Merle

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There may be a licensing problem, with the newer truck, call IDAHO MOTOR POOL and talk to Alex Gordon he should now the ins and outs. 208 452-5335 He sells surplus equipment.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hate to say it but in reality 2K is nothing and in the future you will more than make that up in resale!! Get the 87!

davidb56

Im going to check with the motor vehicle dept on monday about the registration. I like the 87 better, but that 477 mile trip adds another 600$ in fuel to the price for both M35a2 and the car. Also I talked to the guy today and he drove it back from Tacoma WA a year ago and hasn't checked the brakes, wheel bearings fluids in the diffs or anything else. He just drives it around his neighborhood a little. So Im a little on the chicken $hit side of that long of a trip with about 60+ miles of pulling some good grades.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You haven't said but the 87 would be an A3 model and have the Cat engine and Allison tranny, I think. Read about the tranny by searching key words before you make the decision. The OEM piston seals have some failure issues that eventually all of them are going to encounter. The 4th and reverse clutch pack are first to go. They can be rebuild if caught soon enough but a lot of people just mash the fuel a bit harder and really damage them. There is no push starting a dead A3 either....the Allison no can do.

There are many upgrades to the A3 but sounds to me like the older truck has been well taken care of.

I'm a fan of removing one axle, doing that on my A3 now.

The 87 is not really an 87, it is a rebuilt, upgraded, older model deuce. When I removed the plate on the side of the rear suspension that attaches to the frame, my 97 was probably a late 60's model that was upgraded, judging from the trapped rust.

Myself, I like the dual rear wheels in the 11.00 size with the 365 on A3 rims up front (6x6 or 4x4). And while not a dual circuit (older version), if you chose to remove an axle, you could go to the 1 1/2" pistons on all wheel cylinders from the 1 3/8 wheel cylinders for a little more stopping power when using larger tires.

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You haven't said but the 87 would be an A3 model and have the Cat engine and Allison tranny, I think. Read about the tranny by searching key words before you make the decision. The OEM piston seals have some failure issues that eventually all of them are going to encounter. The 4th and reverse clutch pack are first to go. They can be rebuild if caught soon enough but a lot of people just mash the fuel a bit harder and really damage them. There is no push starting a dead A3 either....the Allison no can do.

There are many upgrades to the A3 but sounds to me like the older truck has been well taken care of.

I'm a fan of removing one axle, doing that on my A3 now.

The 87 is not really an 87, it is a rebuilt, upgraded, older model deuce. When I removed the plate on the side of the rear suspension that attaches to the frame, my 97 was probably a late 60's model that was upgraded, judging from the trapped rust.

Myself, I like the dual rear wheels in the 11.00 size with the 365 on A3 rims up front (6x6 or 4x4). And while not a dual circuit (older version), if you chose to remove an axle, you could go to the 1 1/2" pistons on all wheel cylinders from the 1 3/8 wheel cylinders for a little more stopping power when using larger tires.
The 87 is probably an Air Force truck. Honestly if you’re going to bob it and run in the salt and winter I’d rather see the 70 get chewed up. All of the extra value in an Air Force truck will be lost in that mission. Just my opinion.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 87 is probably an Air Force truck. Honestly if you’re going to bob it and run in the salt and winter I’d rather see the 70 get chewed up. All of the extra value in an Air Force truck will be lost in that mission. Just my opinion.
Agreed, if you are deadset on bobbing, I would go for the earlier truck. If you want to use it as is, I would go for the more rare and collectible 1987 USAF truck

davidb56

The 87 looks like its been repainted at least once under it according to his pictures. I believe it has the LDT engine, and not the LDS. He said it had the D turbo, and the IP still has the lock wires on it so nothing has been adjusted. As far as keeping it for a collector item, thats never been my intention. Its a tool to me. Ive been doing research on Bobbing it and am confused why I cannot just drop the rear axel, and plasma arc a couple feet off the bed. I see how a lot of other people move the forward axel back 5 inches, but I cannot find out Why. I guess when I get either the 70, or 87 home, I'll figure it out.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How do you know the model.... that it is a USAF truck from the description? Is there years where that was most of the production? I'm not familiar with them, but isn't that the dual brake circuit model?

Clearly not a cat.

Last edited:

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you take a look at the rear suspension setup, you will see what they are talking about. Has a walking beam type of setup. Needs to be converted to a traditional leaf spring and shackle. Typically they shift the axle to line up with the new bed they use, usually off an m105 trailer.

FloridaAKM

I agree with Wheelspinner as I have an '87 & a '85 Deuce. If you are going to drive the '87 home, go for it after a good check thru first. I did it the first day I got in the '87 Deuce with a 430 mile trip back to Florida. The cockeyed headlights were my only real problem driving @ night. I believe the '87 is going to be an a2 model with a 5 speed od tranny & a multifuel engine, not the A3 with the cat & Allison drivetrain.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, definitely not a Cat.. not A3. The dual circuit brakes (and other goodies later incorporated in the A3) must give it away as a USAF.

Comment on the dual circuit brakes (although I know most would keep the USAF truck entirely original), if they are the same as the A3, they are a 50-50 system that will work great for 4x4. Did the USAF trucks also go to the 1 1/2" wheel cylinders on the front like the A3?

I'm not cutting the frame on mine to retain the pintle as is and I am using the M105 springs and bed. There is a thread where the pinion angle when using the 105 spring is the subject....I'm making a taper to reduce it a little but others have made the spring perch flat/parallel with no problem.

Last edited:

davidb56

yes, he stated that it was air force. It looks like Im going to have to buy the 1970. its cheaper, and completely refurbished...as in axel bearings, seals, boots, shoes etc. My friend/neighbor owns it and he is going to ship it, along with his 5 ton back up here to Idaho from his Oregon shop for free. If I break down on the 87, towing would cost thousands if I couldn't do a roadside repair. the trip back is remote with towns with shop services sometimes 60-80 miles apart. Then there is the DL problems with it having a extra axel and getting pulled over for revenue....state troopers. Shipping the 87 would cost me 2K or more. I can buy the duel circuit upgrade and fabricate brackets etc, put new tires on that I choose for my needs, and possibly just hub flip and run six tires, which may be better for deep snow, than the duel setup......

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With town or service 60-80 miles, unless you are on steep hills a lot, just keep the standard brakes up. Dual circuit is great to have but a lot of work to change.

If you expect to "flip the hubs" you must be thinking of going to singles, maybe use adapters. A3 wheels are kinda pricey. With duals, you can run a flat to get home.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, definitely not a Cat.. not A3. The dual circuit brakes (and other goodies later incorporated in the A3) must give it away as a USAF.

Comment on the dual circuit brakes (although I know most would keep the USAF truck entirely original), if they are the same as the A3, they are a 50-50 system that will work great for 4x4. Did the USAF trucks also go to the 1 1/2" wheel cylinders on the front like the A3?

I'm not cutting the frame on mine to retain the pintle as is and I am using the M105 springs and bed. There is a thread where the pinion angle when using the 105 spring is the subject....I'm making a taper to reduce it a little but others have made the spring perch flat/parallel with no problem.
A3's were built in the mid 90's .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks