• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

choice between 1970 deuce or 1987 deuce.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
A choice between night and day is not a quandary.
Don't be concerned with the fuel you will buy, there won't be much of that, She is multifuel.
How many hours would you run either one of them on the public roads? Hours per year like?

FloridaAKM

Depending on the price, I would be interested in the '87 truck if you weren't all the way across the country. The engine looks really clean as does the rest of the pictures of the truck. To be truthful, 2 deuces are enough @ this point in my life.

Buying the older truck is a smart idea for what you want to do with it. Pictures when you own her.

MudMarine

Get the 87 if you don't bob it, go with the 70 if youre dead set on bobbing. You'll be doing a lot of extra stuff so the cheaper overall entry cost of the truck will be helpful and it sounds like its in great shape.

We bought an AirForce deuce and with about a day of PM's and fluid changes we drove it over 300mi to its new home. This was also in GA where they pretty much don't care what is on the road! It got sporty in Atlanta running down the 285/85 split. Eventually had to play the "who's bigger game" to take the lanes I needed!

davidb56

Thats the one 8500$..what do you think. I map quested it and its 500 miles away. the road nazis would pull me over if I attempted to drive it back. And carrying chains are required.

Doug Roberts

the '87 is the Air Force truck. I have one , and I like it, alot! My truck handles well , and I'm not a fan of bobbing one. It's a great truck for the uses you listed.

davidb56

I don't want to bob it. Id only do it if I have issues moving snow. First Im going to run all ten, then flip hubs and single six it. Bobbing would be a last resort. If I can get by with all ten, that would be great. Our roads up here can be pretty narrow, half are gravel, in the winter there is a few inches of milky colored ice........slippery as snot on a pulling rope.

rustystud

Thats the one 8500$..what do you think. I map quested it and its 500 miles away. the road nazis would pull me over if I attempted to drive it back. And carrying chains are required.
There should be no problem driving this back. I drive my deuce here in Washington as do others all the time. Just have a Washington "Trip Permit" and a Idaho "Trip Permit" and your golden !

By the way. The 1987, 1988 and 1989 Deuces where the last made and given to the Air-force. Three thousand total if my memory serves me right. Then like "Porkysplace" mentioned, in the early to mid 1990's they converted a bunch of older Deuces into the "A3" models. I don't know how many where converted.
I own a 1988 Deuce myself. Love it !

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be no problem driving this back. I drive my deuce here in Washington as do others all the time. Just have a Washington "Trip Permit" and a Idaho "Trip Permit" and your golden !

By the way. The 1987, 1988 and 1989 Deuces where the last made and given to the Air-force. Three thousand total if my memory serves me right. Then like "Porkysplace" mentioned, in the early to mid 1990's they converted a bunch of older Deuces into the "A3" models. I don't know how many where converted.
I own a 1988 Deuce myself. Love it !
Right around 6000 +/- A3's were built.

sidewinder770

The 87 looks like it's in pretty good shape. I would consider buying it if it were 500 miles East of you and not West :). To far for me to consider. I don't think you would have much of a problem driving it back 500 miles- just go slow and take a bunch of tools and fluids with you.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Why not just go find a Deuce that is already "bobbed" properly and drive it. Do you need large projects? How much time and materials is required to bob a Deuce, (ruin a Deuce?).

davidb56

The trucking company is on their way to Portland to pick up the M35A2c airfare deuce. Tomorrow I'll drive it home from Bonners Ferry Idaho. Ive ordered parts for it already from Big Mikes, and The Sensor Connection (EGT). I got 5 gallons of prestone and a 400 watt block heater and a new lower radiator hose, gear oil, grease, brake fluid (dot 5), 3 inch socket, front seal kit, front brake shoes, 6 wheel cylinder kits, one piece boot set with new clamps, complete filter set, and a cold weather bra...So I got a week's worth of playing to do while I ignore my chores. It needs some paint in a few spots, but I'll have to wait until July before its warm enough.

davidb56

I got it home, now its going to get a front to back service, EGT gauge installed, belts, hoses replaced, boots and seals, before I take it out to play.20190313_164525.jpg20190313_170207.jpg

davidb56

I ordered a block heater and new lower radiator hose, I'll install and test it, but its warmed up here enough where it didn't need it to start right up this morning. I need to check the thermostat (if it has one) because the gauge didn't read above 130 ish on the 20 mile drive back. the engine was warm to touch, but I could keep my hand on it comfortably. the engine tag shows its a White multi fuel built in 1987. I had to use the front drive for a stretch of icy and unplowed road coming home.

rustystud

I ordered a block heater and new lower radiator hose, I'll install and test it, but its warmed up here enough where it didn't need it to start right up this morning. I need to check the thermostat (if it has one) because the gauge didn't read above 130 ish on the 20 mile drive back. the engine was warm to touch, but I could keep my hand on it comfortably. the engine tag shows its a White multi fuel built in 1987. I had to use the front drive for a stretch of icy and unplowed road coming home.
Your thermostat might be stuck open. I've seen that so many times on these mulitfuels it must be the default position on the thermostat ! (just kidding) .
Mine got stuck last year due to some scum in the radiator. Had to flush the system out and put in new anti-freeze. I keep a spare thermostat in the glove box just in case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks