• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing with m998 a

Status
Not open for further replies.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wellll.... the basic m998 has a cargo capacity of what, 2500lbs... So it's technically a 1 ton truck lol.
No it's a tactical truck with 4 wheel independent suspension and full time 4 wheel drive ( makes drivetrain different from HI ) no comparison to a F350 for towing.

Skrilex

Banned
The likelihood of all 4 breaking at the same time is low HOWEVER if 1 breaks all the breaking force that wheel was applying is now transferred to the remaining 3 brakes. That is an increase in workload of 33% which is likely to break another half shaft. Then you are down to just 2 doing the work of 4. It would get bad really fast. If all 4 are broken then there is Zero stopping power since all the wheels would be freewheeling. Best case scenario is you only kill yourself and no one else. I just can't see it being worth risk under any circumstances.
except the brakes on the trailer.

Skrilex

Banned
Some of y’all are pretty dramatic lol. So, the truck can be rated to tow 4500, or in civy form up to 8600. So somewhere between those numbers is a “safe” rating for “slow very VERY occasional use on back streets and with extreme caution”.

Could we we agree on that? Or do the wheels all snap off and the whole flaming ball of metal slide into a school zone the moment we hook a 5k trailer to the thing?
Btw I did some searching in the H1 world and found people towing 5k,8k,12k, and more at distances up to multi-state highway speeds and not infrequently. NOT saying this was safe, or a good idea, but I haven’t seen an instance where the wheels fell of or the axle shafts snapped.

For you you guys who are super duper safety minded, what do you think would happen if you hit a chit-box with your bumperless hmmwv at any speed? Do you think they are safe enough for public roads? Because the federal highway safety departments (can’t remember what they are called at the moment) doesn’t think so, and that’s why they are not allowed to be driven in some places. So, you sound a little hypocritical. Just saying.

diluted

Some of y’all are pretty dramatic lol. So, the truck can be rated to tow 4500, or in civy form up to 8600. So somewhere between those numbers is a “safe” rating for “slow very VERY occasional use on back streets and with extreme caution”.

Could we we agree on that? Or do the wheels all snap off and the whole flaming ball of metal slide into a school zone the moment we hook a 5k trailer to the thing?
Btw I did some searching in the H1 world and found people towing 5k,8k,12k, and more at distances up to multi-state highway speeds and not infrequently. NOT saying this was safe, or a good idea, but I haven’t seen an instance where the wheels fell of or the axle shafts snapped.

For you you guys who are super duper safety minded, what do you think would happen if you hit a chit-box with your bumperless hmmwv at any speed? Do you think they are safe enough for public roads? Because the federal highway safety departments (can’t remember what they are called at the moment) doesn’t think so, and that’s why they are not allowed to be driven in some places. So, you sound a little hypocritical. Just saying.
You're not very smart.. I've snapped axle shafts before, most here have.

I hope you have good insurance if you decide to start towing 10k with your 7k rated shafts and suspension m998.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think we've covered this enough.

Ask, and do what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks