• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2c's at Camp Lejune trucks

I’m in the process of getting my parts in order for the pickup of my M35a2c in Camp LeJune. My uncle also purchased two of the M35a2c units from the same lot and we will all be driving them back to his home in central Ohio. I’ve went through the check lists that I could find for M35’s and had a few questions. We’ve been working on the M809 series trucks for the past 2 years and its been 10 years since I owned an M35.

Did anybody happen to look at these tan M35a2c’s at Camp LeJune? We just rolled the dice as they looked fairly clean in the pics. Do these have the two master cylinder/air pack setups as I didn't see the blue air force tags on the dash but they do have a brake light between the tach and speedo?

I’m going to bring some new belts just in case I have one break are these correct part numbers???

Air Compressor Belt Napa 25-9510
(2) Alternator Belts Napa 25-9470
Any other belts? Water pump belt?

Napa oil filter part #?

Primary Fuel filter Napa 3511
(2) Secondary Fuel Filters Napa 3512
Are these the best fuel filters for this application?

Any other spare parts I should purchase and bring along that are prone to fail on these trucks?

I’m ordering my manuals today so I can catch up on these trucks operation and mechanicals. We are looking forward to the drive when the EUC’s clear!
Thanks again for your help,
Andy

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M35a2c

Those blue data plates on the dash are not specific to USAF trucks; the blue data plate is a warranty data plate. To my knowledge, they are on every mid-80s deuce. I got one of the trucks on an earlier sale...when they did not go so crazy price-wise (I got my truck for $1800)...my truck came from the Army NG and has the blue data plate.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M35a2c

I should also add that I had an M49A2C that was a Navy truck and it also had the blue data plate.

prices

I didn't think I did too bad on my M35a2c for price. I noticed the next auction one of the trucks brought around 6k. Somebody really wanted that truck. But even at 6k it's still alot better than a 6k 4x4 diesel pickup truck thats been beat to death.

Do the M35's take GL-5 80/90 in the axles, trans and transfer case?

Also how hot is normal for the hubs when going down the interstate in these trucks?

thanks,
Andy

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: prices

Andy, if I remember correctly you paid in the $3000-3500 range. That was not too bad...I think you did fine. $6K for one of these trucks on the next sale was too high considering the guy will have $7K in when he gets it home. The days of the sub-$2K mid-80s deuces is gone. The only reason I got mine was because I got it before guys on this list put on a virtual clinic on the mid-80s deuces. To be honest, while I wanted a newer M35A2, I have my concerns about the newer trucks. The head gaskets tend to leak more frequently than the older trucks. I am not sure why. My evidence could be anecdotal, but the 1987 M49A2C I used to own had an oil leak and so did EMMADO's mid-80s truck. All of the mid-80s trucks I've inspected had this leak. Admittedly, I have not inspected a lot of them (maybe around 10 trucks). I am not sure why this is...any ideas? Could they have redesigned the head gaskets on the newer trucks?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: prices

Daggummit Bruce now you are scaring me. The 72 M35A2C I just drove home from TM has and LDT with a 1987 contract date! Really didn't plan on pulling heads so quik

Bruce,
I was right around where your stated on price. After sinking alot of time and cash into our M812 I don't mind spending a little more for one that looks clean. I thought I read something about the new M35's having fire rings and a tabbed head gasket? Could this be a leak point?

Worse case I run the 465 till it dies and I've got a 5.9 B series Cummins core with a P7100 injection pump that is begging to make excessive smoke and power....

Andy

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The USAF trucks had the "tabbed" and fire ring head gasket from the factory.. Mine leaked from the tabs, and had an internal leak.. I replaced it, no problems now. I figure only 4,000 miles in 20 years didnt help it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Andy, with regard to the hubs, if you can't touch them, they are too hot!

Yes, 80/90 in the axles, trans, and t-case. Is the GL synthetic? I don't use synthetic oil...nothing against it...just never did. Is there something against mixing it with non-synthetic?

CGarbee

Do a search as gear/transmission oil has been covered in great detail before, but: if you use a GL5 make sure that it is also rated MT-1. Or, use a GL1 which is what it was originally specified to use...

Pretty tanker Bruce...

FrankUSMC

On the last couple of lots of M35A2Cs that were at Camp Lujeune, they were nice. The GL guy who I deal with on my bids was telling me they were the best he had seen. You got a nice truck.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

thanks

Frank,
Thanks for the response. I was hoping to hear that. We have a long drive back to Ohio. I'll leave mine at his farm for a month or two and then drive it back to MN. We all are really looking forward to the drive.
Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks