• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need to weld, disconnect batts

jkcondrey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to disconnect the batteries to patch up some holes. I’m confused with all the batteries in this truck. Where do I need to disconnect in order to avoid frying anything? 97 lmtv with all four batts installed. Thanks!

Dock Rocker

I need to disconnect the batteries to patch up some holes. I’m confused with all the batteries in this truck. Where do I need to disconnect in order to avoid frying anything? 97 lmtv with all four batts installed. Thanks!
I would pull them all and zip tie them aside. Take the chance to clean your terminals while you are at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Modern vehicles are not prone to damage from electric welding. Keep the negative electrode close to the work.
That statement concerns me. Did you actually say what you meant to say?

Edit. Looking back at my post I interpreted dmetalmiki's statement to mean that disconnecting grounds was not needed because they were tolerant to being welded on. I interpreted wrong. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:

NormB

That statement concerns me. Did you actually say what you meant to say?
Exactly what he said. Keep the welder ground wire close to where you’re working.

But definitely make sure every battery’s connection to ground is open if you decide to do that.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was working at a creamery in the UK near Chard in England. I was installing a new and expensive process control system that had the computers mounted inside a stainless steel enclosure. A Danish company was also on site, performing some stainless steel pipe installation. A Danish welder put the ground clamp on the exterior of my computer cabinet. It fried everything in that cabinet and also fried other electronics remotely located in the plant that had wires interconnected. After that, I always disconnect the negative battery lead, regardless of whether I think I really need to.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly what he said. Keep the welder ground wire close to where you’re working.

But definitely make sure every battery’s connection to ground is open if you decide to do that.
Ha ha, of course thats a true statement if you add the "disconnect battery" part. The OP had it right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks