• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mobile locksmith shop, shelter conversion

DDW

NSN: 5411-00-752-9698
Cost: @ $3,900.00
Manufacturer: Radio Engineering Products, (or could be the firm that overhauled it the first time)
TM's TM11-5410-205-12P, -35P, -14

That's about all I could find. The van is much older then the NSN would lead you to believe. It looks like one of the ones I found in the net, from the 50's. It has been upgraded at least 3 times, hence, the NSN. In the 50's, there was no NSN, just Stock Numbers, (less the -00-) As the original Data plate is not there, due to loss, or when it was up graded, it got a new data plate. The NSN was issued to the van on 1-Jan-1962.
Thanks that is very helpful.

Thanks everyone here for your help in this shelter. :D:D:D

DDW

What a beast! I spent all day getting this in my truck, with no assistance.

:cookoo:received_414760089278071.jpg

received_390987921450110.jpg

Recapp:

After rebuilding a; insulated, "communications slide in shelter", made for the Army, from the 1950's, which took several weeks to complete the process. I completely gutting out the old communication hardware, recycling 70% of the old hardware, electrical, lights, fabricating everything by hand, new lock mechanism, new 20,000 heater, a new latch mechanism, hand installing 60 nut inserts, two sheets of aluminum, and hand installing 575 rivets, not to mention the truck preparations.

Finally I got this "slide in locksmith shop" in the truck, what a lot of work. I spent all day getting this mobile workshop in the truck. It's tough when you have to do this by yourself, and this is not a lightweight. I had a lot of blocks, chains, you name it to get this into the bed of the truck.

I have 115 volts, 12 volts, heater hoses from the truck, just to work inside comfortably. It's really a professionally built shop, and it is awesome.

Last edited:

DDW

More photos:

received_1738773036223730_kindlephoto-9631660932.jpgreceived_1738773036223730_kindlephoto-9631641929.jpg54525238_1047064818824583_5216802899903905792_o.jpg

So you can see how I have everything set up in the back. The door lock, deadbolt are my fabrication, as well as everything else on this project. I made sure everything is water tight, sealed, and its a really cool shop. :) :)

Wire Fox

More photos:

View attachment 758724View attachment 758725View attachment 758726

So you can see how I have everything set up in the back. The door lock, deadbolt are my fabrication, as well as everything else on this project. I made sure everything is water tight, sealed, and its a really cool shop. :) :)
I've gotta ask...why is that extension cord pulled so tight? I'm worried that thing might wear out and short on you.

EDIT: Not fair to just nitpick the little thing without checking out the whole project. I just finished reading your build thread and I've gotta say that you've made a really top-notch mobile workshop out of that shelter! Make sure you take care to protect those cables so that you don't have any unfortunately surprises and I imagine you're going to be rolling around Alaska in the coolest locksmith setup there is.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting this.

I really like to see how people re-use surplus equipment

You did a great job!

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I was following along and missed if you posted how much the unit weighed? Looks like a few different skills have been used in the fabrication of the mobile shop. Looks great! I really like the sign, but I bet a lot of clients are glad to see you. Does it have a coffee maker?

Now a cup of coffee would be nice to have when you show up, in Alaska.:clinto:

DDW

I was following along and missed if you posted how much the unit weighed? Looks like a few different skills have been used in the fabrication of the mobile shop. Looks great! I really like the sign, but I bet a lot of clients are glad to see you. Does it have a coffee maker?

Now a cup of coffee would be nice to have when you show up, in Alaska.:clinto:
It was lightened up a lot when I gutted it out, I was able to move it with ease. The parts that I removed, really weighed a ton, then after I reassembled it with the filler plates, electrial, I still could lift a corner up by myself.
:-D

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like the tailgate will close just fine if it were reinstalled.
Any plans to do that?
I see the license plate attached to shelter so I assume not.

The setup looks really good.
Very well thought out.

DDW

Looks like the tailgate will close just fine if it were reinstalled.
Any plans to do that?
I see the license plate attached to shelter so I assume not.

The setup looks really good.
Very well thought out.
Thanks

The tailgate was removed permanently, it's easier to climb inside the workshop than having a tailgate to hinder me. l thought about it and couldn't justify keeping it.

I used nut inserts for a lot of things like the license plate, I used the nut inserts instead of regular nuts, a lot of the fabricating required nut inserts. I used almost 600 pop rivets, which makes everything look professional, and will last another 60+ years.

And it stays comfortable when its freezing outside.
:beer:

DDW

I've got the new 115V plug in the mail, found some extra extension cord length to make it safe.

What I've learned from looking at other shelters is the door configuration is unique on mine. I don't see much offset doors with the out swing half doors. Maybe it's a key to the true manufacturer identification?

received_407584956450716.jpg

See the unique door offset.

This actually gives me more room.

received_407584956450716.jpg

received_2050463711656480.jpg

The original configuration.

received_372575789959333.jpg

It's really to bad the original manufacturer has been removed. :(

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing about the S-250/S-280 shelters, rarely do you see two that are identical to each other.

Guyfang

Staff member
We had a lot of them in Air Defense. And truly, no two were alike. Our UHF van, only had a half door. The bottom part, would not open. It was one solid piece across the bottom.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My S-280 is extremely well made.
Would love to have about 10 more.

They will last a lifetime when taken care of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks