• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

About my new 1028

cucvrus

:DOf course you can drop bolts. You could throw them down the intake holes if you like. That is common knowledge. Just posting it like it is a common occurrence is like saying don't forget to latch the hood before driving. It goes along with the job. And the line is on the timing cover NOT the engine block. There is a line on top of the timing gear cover. And there is a line on the top of the injection pump flange. They will be in alignment when complete. Others may say turn it past or before to the left or to the right. Do as you wish. I just put mine line to line and leave things go as designed. Call me what ever. It works it seems to have worked for over 24 years at my camp and I advise against anything else. I don't just drive mine in parades and to an occasional show and tell. I use them hard and abuse them at times. I am down in fleet size of CUCV's from previously but still have a few in my care. But back to the OP statement. Can you drop bolts? Yes of course you can. I think you know that would not be good. If you fear. And I mean are doubtful that you can not do this job without dropping the timing bolts. Easy as this. Magnetic socket. That may be to much. But masking tape stuffed into the 13mm socket and push the socket onto each bolt hex head. Now remove the bolt and replace the tape each time. Turn the engine with a 15/16" socket on the bottom crank bolt and get each bolt aligned center so you have a straight shot in at it. No scrapping the timing cover. I think you have this nailed. Need I proceed? PM me. I will be happy to elaborate. And use what ever vendor you would like to have the injection pump rebuilt. It matters not to me. I am sure the one you pick will be one that someone else got screwed by. That is the way it works on the internet. Have a Great Day. We had another slight winter event yesterday and am expecting one again tonight.:D

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
H
:DOf course you can drop bolts. You could throw them down the intake holes if you like. That is common knowledge. Just posting it like it is a common occurrence is like saying don't forget to latch the hood before driving. It goes along with the job. And the line is on the timing cover NOT the engine block. There is a line on top of the timing gear cover. And there is a line on the top of the injection pump flange. They will be in alignment when complete. Others may say turn it past or before to the left or to the right. Do as you wish. I just put mine line to line and leave things go as designed. Call me what ever. It works it seems to have worked for over 24 years at my camp and I advise against anything else. I don't just drive mine in parades and to an occasional show and tell. I use them hard and abuse them at times. I am down in fleet size of CUCV's from previously but still have a few in my care. But back to the OP statement. Can you drop bolts? Yes of course you can. I think you know that would not be good. If you fear. And I mean are doubtful that you can not do this job without dropping the timing bolts. Easy as this. Magnetic socket. That may be to much. But masking tape stuffed into the 13mm socket and push the socket onto each bolt hex head. Now remove the bolt and replace the tape each time. Turn the engine with a 15/16" socket on the bottom crank bolt and get each bolt aligned center so you have a straight shot in at it. No scrapping the timing cover. I think you have this nailed. Need I proceed? PM me. I will be happy to elaborate. And use what ever vendor you would like to have the injection pump rebuilt. It matters not to me. I am sure the one you pick will be one that someone else got screwed by. That is the way it works on the internet. Have a Great Day. We had another slight winter event yesterday and am expecting one again tonight.:D
How about a paragraph or two?

cucvrus

:DEnglish class. I received an A+ 42 years ago. I don't know no how to writes anyway. But me sure can gets the point across if me has too. So I will go with yous on that there. Yous have some fun times now once. And if the mans dropping the bolts down the motor holes don't get it and your spanking clean motor needs washed again. You goes about once and gets it done. I will continue to assist unbadgered by your dim wit.:D Don't worry be happy.

319cssb

@cucvrus I am the OP, but I don't remember saying anything about dropping bolts. (I scrolled back- someone named Matt5 was writing about bolts)
I was planning on stuffing a magnet in the socket. And cover the opening of the timing case downward.
Somehow i thought it would be common sense to do these kind of precautions and not worth mrntioning in a post.

Thank you for the info on the timing marks. I saw a training video where they marked both cover and pump, maybe to see the marks better?

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Somehow i thought it would be common sense to do these kind of precautions and not worth mrntioning in a post.
Yep. That's what cucvrus was saying. There was no need to mention it, like it was some big deal. But some people just have to show how smart they are by posting such things. It doesn't work, but they keep trying. :beer:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please stay on topic and stop the bickering.

cucvrus

DSCN0734.jpgWith a lot of work and elbow grease. I can see that CUCV back in mint condition again. First thing to fly is the modifications. Your call. It has potential. Posted on the wrong thread. But I tried to do good.

319cssb

I want to say my thanks to cucvrus and everyone who helped to diagnose the m1028's starting issues.
i had to
- fix the glow plug card
- new glow relay
- new fuel pump
- new glow plugs
- injection pump

but now she runs.

319cssb

Now the truck starts right up , but still smokes a lot. I dont know if its air in the lines or all the kerosene and WD-40 and diesel i was spraying down the intake when it wouldn't start, or the crapp in the fuel tank, or if it is low compression. Once i got the many issues sorted, i can maybe run the sucker for a period of time and let her warm up properly.
OhBTW i dont see any blowby when she runs anymore, none worth mentioning anyway

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There’s a guy on YouTube who used, among other things, transmission fluid to help the initial CUCV start.
Smoked like crazy at first and lighter smoke for quite a while.
Seemed to take forever for all of it to burn off.

Yours should eventually clear up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks