• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

8.3 belt tensioner problems

xGROMx

It seems to never end, as I'm sure everyone knows already.

After fixing a different problem, I started to hear a knocking noise. Turns out the belt tensioner is rubbing the fan clutch. I am not 100% sure how this thing is actually supposed to be installed, and am expecting it to be the wrong part installed or installed in correctly. I am constantly going behind the last people that worked on this truck.

I have found a listing of the correct part from a different thread.

Can anyone take some photos of a correct install that I can compare to?

20190223_084358.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Has a pin in the rear of the tensioner that aligns with the hole in the bracket it bolts to.

74M35A2

If the pin is correct as mentioned, then they may have used the wrong belt (too long), they may have it routed incorrectly, or they may be using an accessory with non-stock pulley diameter or placement, such as an aftermarket alternator.

xGROMx

Jbulach, from your photos it looks like I have a different fan clutch. Mine dosnt have the spacer or distace to clear the tensioner. Thanks by the way.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fan hub is correct. In the attached pics, OP, yours is circled in red, Jbulach is in blue. That is the tensioner stop. OP, yours is at the stop that is at the "Max Tension" or Min tension, Jbulach is where it is supposed to be, almost centered between the "Min Tension" and "Max Tension". It needs to be close to the middle so the tensioner has some give in it. Your belt is too short or too long depending on which way the tensioner works. It looks like the tension is toward the hub, if that is the case, too long of a belt.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks