• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gmc m211 questions

Hey all I am new here. I have been looking for a nice 6x6 and a m211 popped up around me. But it needs brakes. Is there anywhere I can get new brakes? Its mechanically good and is in overall nice condition. Any thing I should look for? Any advice from owners is well liked!! Thanks ~Reno

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome! Sure, which brake parts does it need? Brakes consist of master cyl, air pack, lines, hoses, 12 wheel cylinders, and 12 shoes.

I havent actually taken a look at it but I assume it needs shoes. But if I should replace anything else as preventative maintence let me know what!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These trucks are always low miles so unless the shoes are oil or brake fluid soaked, all you will need to inspect/replace/rebuild are the other items. Those parts can be obtained new if they are rusted.

USMC 00-08

Welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to the parts list a lot of us have worked on putting together. Just click on the hyperlink in the first post and the list will open up.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?137722-G749-Parts-List

Some of the brake parts can be found at local parts stores, others you can find at Memphis Equipment. A man named Tom Wolboldt that is on this forum from time to time has a lot of NOS parts available. There is a man named Ralph Journeay with Niagra Miiltary that has a lot of parts available. There is Alfa Heaven too that might have parts you need.

I highly recommend this airpac rebuild.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?70703-M220-AirPak-rebuild

Do you have any pictures of the truck you are looking at that you could post on here? Maybe one of us has seen it before and can give you some info on it. It is not uncommon for trucks on here to show back up with a different owner.

Last edited:
I am still waiting for them to send me more photos but this is what I have right now. I got lots of ideas roaming around for this beast! I just gotta save a little more and decide on the 12 hour journey or possible shipping.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great. These typically don't do well with big tires, engine transplants, etc, so we tend to not advocate that.

Don't worry none of that stuff was on my list. I like the engine and everything. It is all cosmetic mods I want to do.

USMC 00-08

That looks like a nice one. What part of the US are you and the truck located? Maybe one of us is close to it and can help you when the time comes.

I am located near the IL/Wisconsin border and the truck is located near Crystal lake Wisconsin. I could drive my dads truck with a flatbed trailer rated to hold the truck but thats about a 6 hour drive both ways so a 12 hour round trip.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember the truck from somewhere. I will PM you my phone number. Maybe I can help you out. If I had to guess, you will need a master cylinder. Maybe a few wheel cylinders. The shoes and drums are usually good as previously stated by a wise man. The airpack, if not repairable can be converted to a M35 style.
Dan

M37keppy

Looks like they were using a boat fuel tank to run it in the picture . So you can count on having to do some work with the fuel tank and system.

barebonz01

I just joined the site and have a couple of issues that I know that all of you can help out with. I purchased a 1953 XM211 that has been in storage in Northern Illinois in a Machine Shed for the last 30 years, they drove it in the shed 30 years ago and parked it. When they pulled it out the rear brakes are all locked, Any idea's to break them free? Also the electric system is it a 12 volt system with 2 6 volt batteries or a 24 Volt system with 2 12 volt batteries. I don't want to fry the electric system before I start messing with it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just joined the site and have a couple of issues that I know that all of you can help out with. I purchased a 1953 XM211 that has been in storage in Northern Illinois in a Machine Shed for the last 30 years, they drove it in the shed 30 years ago and parked it. When they pulled it out the rear brakes are all locked, Any idea's to break them free? Also the electric system is it a 12 volt system with 2 6 volt batteries or a 24 Volt system with 2 12 volt batteries. I don't want to fry the electric system before I start messing with it.
Have you checked to make sure that the parking brake components are free and actually disengaging to allow the rear end to roll???

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless it saw a major, and odd, modification, it's 24V from two 12V batteries in series. All military and heavy duty trucks are 24V, by and large.
Good luck,
BDGR

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to deal with a non-rolling GMC once. The wheel cylinders leak fluid out and cause the shoes to stick to the drums. If backing off the adjusters, banging on the backing plates etc does not free them, what I did in the field was to burn off the bolt heads that attach the backing plates to the axle, punch the remainder of the bolt through with a drift, then the drum and backing plate spin as one going down the road.

M37keppy

Take it easy on the brake adjusters if the screw is rusted tight and you put a lot of force on it it wil strip the teeth off. I saw a m211 go up for sale not to far from you I wonder if it was the same one? Good luck.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most likely it has two 12 volt batteries. Count the cells in each battery. Each cell is about 2.1 volts so a 12 colt battery has 6 cells where as a 6 volt battery has only 3 cells per battery.

Is the parking brake free?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am still waiting for them to send me more photos but this is what I have right now. I got lots of ideas roaming around for this beast! I just gotta save a little more and decide on the 12 hour journey or possible shipping.

Please upload your phots to SS instead of that tapaphooey stuff
There is a simple way
something about paperclips

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks