• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Educate me on HMMWV 6.5L GEP conversion?

Augdog1964

I have a 6.5 NA in my HMMWV and been seeing a lot about the 6.5L GEPs...

What is involved in the conversion?

What would I need?

Searched YouTube and forums, lots of info post conversion... couldn't find anything about one...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your question is not clear. The only difference between a GM 6.5 and a GEP 6.5 are internal casting changes to prevent cracks. Possibly you mean 6.5 NA to 6.5 turbocharged?

Augdog1964

As I stated, we have one HMMWV and we know very little about it...

I've read that the conversion to provide a true Park, and more speeds requires a new transmission, and engine and harness...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, your question is "how to I convert my Turbohydramatic 400 transmission to a 4L80E Turbohydramatic transmission. Search 4L80E in the HMMWV forum, subject has been covered over and over.

springer1981

There are 4 or 5 different engines and 2 or 3 different transmissions used as "stock" on the HMMWV's depending on year and if you count the Duramax (we won't). The engine is going to have little to do with your top speed. They all turn the same RPM, some just get to that RPM faster than others. The transmission and differentials will effect top speed more than the engine.

Engines
GM 6.2
GM 6.5
GEP 6.5
GEP 6.5 Turbo

Transmissions
GM TH400 3sp
GM 4L80E 4sp

Alternate Transmission conversion
700R4 4sp (no electronic controller needed)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks