• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tire and Wheel replacement on a TSC-118 trailer

KGREENE

Hello Group:

I have a AN/TSC-118 communication shelter that is mounted on a two axle trailer.
I have some questions on tire/wheel replacement.
After all these years, the rubber is breaking down and the inner tubes are slowly leaking.
Time for a change.

Background information:

The front axle uses a 6.50/10 tire and wheel assembly.
The wheel is a bolt together wheel assembly (5 bolts on a 5.5 inch pattern).
The actual tires are 6.50x10 (now 205x10) that are load range E.
I was able to find newer replacement tires & wheels with the same load rating (LR E).

On the rear axle, there are dual tires and wheels. Again the tires are mounted on bolt together wheel assemblies.
However, the rear wheel is a 10 bolt pattern with a center opening of 7.25 inches.
Due to safety issues and the lack of tire shops who will support this older wheel type, I would like to upgrade them.

Does any have any idea where to buy modern single piece 10 bolt / 10 inch tires?
The other part of the challenge is to understand how the inner wheel is attached to the axle before I tear it all apart.
I think it has a special hub that supports both tires.

Anyway - I can not seem to find a vendor for the modern wheels. The actual rubber tire is not an issue.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

PS: The shelter is something like a S-280 on a special trailer.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is not an older type rim, it is still very widely used on forklifts. I just installed a 6.50-10 on my Cat V40. Takes about 20 minutes. Any shop that works on forklifts will be able to help you if you can't diy. I'm sure you realize that trailer is "not highway service" right?

KGREENE

Thank you for responding and I found the information very useful.
There are a number of forklift service companies very near to me (our office is in an industrial park).
I will check with them. I assume they will do the work on-site.

As to on/off road use, we used to pull these communication trailers with an M35 all over the place when I was stationed in the US.
That said, many of the communication shelters used this trailer type or the shelter used what I remember called "mobilizers" which were bolt on wheels assemblies.
The actual shelter I have also has the mounts for this type of transport system.
However I think they used the trailer unit as the weight of the equipment (~6,000 lbs) in the trailer might have exceeded the strength of the trailer to use the external bolt on wheel assembly.
This shelter has been moved a number of times over the road (not only by me).
That said, it might have not the right thing to do.

I really thank you for your comments as they help me form what is the right direction forward.
It is really hard to get information these days on older systems.

Thank you.

PS: I do look around for mobilizers periodically. Rarely see them.

KGREENE

Hi to all:

The AN/TSC-118 shelter if you do not know what a TSC-118 is.
This was taken before it was delivered to the industrial trailer service center for new front brakes shoes and updating trailer electrical system.
The trailer had a civilian trailer electrical plug installed in addition to keeping the military style connector.
The shop also lubed all the axle shafts and replaced all the rubber hoses on the brake system (just in case).

Note the additional strength support installed on the actual shelter.
This explains why (I think) the vendor provided a trailer and not the use of a mobilizer.

Thank all of you for your help.

Shelter.jpg

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would check with your states DOT officer to see if it’s road legal.

The Military can tow around whatever it wants.
Once in civilian hands, that perk goes away.
Doesn't matter if it has brakes, reflectors, wiring plug, etc.

Height, width, tire size, load rating, lighting, intended use, etc.
Some specifics vary from state to state on small trailers.
Some tickets are also very pricey, especially in California.

If your in an accident, your fault or not, and the trailer isn’t supposed to be on the road, Good luck.
Lawyers will have a field day and your insurance company will probably bail on you.
Yes, it’s happened. A lot.

Just becsuse you can tow it, doesn’t mean it’s legal to do so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks