Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MEP003A wont stay running

Private
    Thanks

Default MEP003A wont stay running

Hey guys, New to the forum.
    I just bought a Mep003a on a trailer. I got it to start, but it won't stay running. It will run anywhere from 2 to 5 mins then just act like its bogging down and die. This is what I have done so far: Drained the fuel tank, full of nasty white powder so I'm getting fuel from a clean 5 gal fuel tank. Got the governor linkage to move. It was rusty. Took all the nozzles off the injectors and cleaned them up. Found out the sec fuel pump s not working so I bypassed it. Checked the fuel pump plunger in the injection pump, it's free. Found out the air doors by the exhaust were not opening. So I removed them, should not need them as I'm down south. removed the temp sensor and left it loose away from the engine while I'm trying to find what is causing the shutdown. It's not the fuel solenoid. It stays engaged, and it doesn't seem to help any when I pull up on the governor when it wants to die. The only thing I see is I'm missing the fuel filters. Which, I'm going to install new ones. But would like to hear it stay running before I do that. I'm pulling my fuel thru a plastic gas can right now for testing. And that the electric fuel pump puts out about 4 to 6 psi before I start it afterward it drops t about 2 to 3 psi. Any Idea's ??

4 Star General Light in the Dark's Avatar
    Thanks

It sounds to me like a fuel delivery problem. The fuel pump that still works is probably overheating/failing under use, which is why you are seeing the PSI drop. I would get a new pump for this machine (especially since it sounds like you already are missing pumps...). How do the fuel lines look?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

Farmitall (02-28-2019), Zed254 (02-28-2019)

Private
    Thanks

fuel lines are old but I have removed and look at every fuel line. Before I stick and a bunch of money in it just wanna make sure the engine is good. Funny thing is if i take the fuel line off the injection pump and run it in a bucket it never stops

Thanks

The fact that you describe a slow roll to OFF tells me its a fuel flow issue. If it was an abrupt stop, its probably not fuel. All old fuel lines can swell sometimes too, so you may not see the problem until under use. Those Onans are pretty rugged engines... how does it sound when its running properly?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Light in the Dark For This Useful Post:

Farmitall (02-28-2019)

Thanks

Have you inspected the return line and fittings?

General
    Thanks

Agree with LITD. I was thinking plugged fuel filters or failing fuel pump.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,195 Times in 546 Posts

PM is very important. When you found crud in the tank, the first thing you should have done is clean the tank and lines, replace fuel filter, clean filter screens on the pumps and change the oil and oil filter before you ever tried to start the engine. You mentioned that the louvers weren't opening and you removed them. They don't open until the engine heats up and then only open as needed. I would re-mount the louvers. You are in the south, but it can get cool where you are. MEP003A gensets are a very good piece of equipment and very reliable. Mine gets used in power outages 10 - 15 times a year and I use it once or twice a year remotely since mine is trailer mounted as well.
    Gary
    US Army 1970-1971 MOS: 11D20 (Scout)
    2/36th Infantry, 3rd Armored Division
    USAR 1972-1973
    MVPA: #32652

2003 M1030M1 USMC Diesel Motorcycle
    1998 AM General M35A3 W/W and M66 Gun Ring
    1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 W/W (Sold)
    2000 M149A2 (USMC) Water Buffalo Trailer
    1968 Johnson M105A2 Trailer
    1992 M116A2 Trailer
    1987 XM1061E1 Trailer
    MEP-003A Gen Set
    30D36R 3 KW Gen Set ex-NC ANG (Sold)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to glcaines For This Useful Post:

Light in the Dark (02-28-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

Sounds like the pump is failing and not putting enough fuel to the injector pump. Don't half way do your PM, go ahead and change the filters and move forward. If your loosing 1/2 your psi I would say the pump is the problem.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamawieb For This Useful Post:

Farmitall (02-28-2019), Light in the Dark (02-28-2019)

Thanks

That's a good machine! If you didn't hear a rod knocking in the few minutes it was running, I'd bet its good. As above, put it all back together, as the Guys above & others, are Aces on these machines. With all its parts, its as close to bullet proof as anything can be.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rosco For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (03-02-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Ok TY to all the replies. I'm not trying to cheap out on it with the fuel system just wanna make sure it will stay running before I dump a ton of money into it. I have had just about every fuel line off of it and blew thru and looked thru each one checked the check valve and a return orfice on the injection pump. when I bought it from a private seller the fuel filters were gone and bypassed. and I ran a hose into a clean 5 gal can for testing. Whenever I buy an item that needs work I always try to make sure it works before just buying tons of parts. Been stung in the past. the doors I removed because I could not get them to open up at all. I had my temp gun read almost 200 behind the dors and they are supposed to open at 120 and be fully open at 140. tried to locate a new thermostat for them and could not. After it is running I will try with them on again, scared that it got overheated. The fuel pumps the primary one is making noise and pumping but its the one that has only 2 or 3 psi when running. the sec one is making a clicking sound but not pumping so I bypassed it. the aux one I have not unhooked yet but its running like crazy when you move the switch. I'm going to order a new pump and maybe run some rubber hose to the injection pump for testing it. Thank you for all the replies and I will keep u all updated. Ps I'm going to remove my fuel tank and try and clean it this weekend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast