• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP003A wont stay running

jason74350

I have not taken the pumps off yet. I did clean out the filters in the bottom of the pumps. and just test each one to see if it would pump with the hose off. They do not look like they have been replaced since it was lasted painted. look original. they do have a cigar shaped filter on them. going to try and reinstall the fuel tank today and take the pumps off. I ordered a e8131 i think off amazon to try. It's a 24 volt pump that puts out 10 to 14 psi.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just to be on the safe side, take the pumps off. Take them apart. Then look at the parts TM, for the exploded view of the electric fuel pump. Compare the picture to the pump. Same amount of parts? Don't laugh. I have opened some up to find that the magnet is not there. Pump doesn't work very well without the magnet. Then put the whole mess in a can full of carb cleaner or some other liquid that will clean it up. Wait a day, reassemble. Then, hook up a hose to the input side, and a pressure meter if you have one, on the out put side. 6-7 PSI is what you want to see. If you do not have a meter, then put a hose on the output side and fill a liter container. Should not take more then 30-40 seconds, if that. A person could do worse then read the -12 TM, Maintenance of fuel system. Lots of good info there, and it applies to EVERY MEP and TQG gen set in the military system. If you think you are losing pressure someplace, remove all the hoses and put Teflon tape on the fittings, before putting the hoses back on. Toss the check valve into the carb cleaner also. Then that's about it for the fuel system.

Note: the electric fuel pumps require a very good ground. That's the reason they are SUPPOSED to have serrated washers under the mounting bolts. If by some chance you do not have them, you should get some. Normal washers and lock washers are not good enough. Often the water separator screen is missing. And the petcocks are missing or damaged. They are there for a reason. Use them. if you cant remember which wires go to the electric fuel pumps and the Aux, its easy. Place S1 in the run position. Two of the wire will be hot. They are the primary fuel pumps. The third one can only be AUX. As long as you have it all taken apart, remove, clean and test the AUX fuel solenoid. Better now, then when in the middle of the night you get this great idea to hook up an AUX fuel line and drain from another tank.

jason74350

I have taken all the pumps off the primary one I think I can get it to work the sec one when I pulled the clip off parts went flying and I tried to put it together.it will not work it works for about 1 or 2 secs but then stops I think the switch inside of it is sticking. the aux I have off but have not tried it yet. it is very clean looking inside. the new pump I ordered just showed up. so going to try that one. got the fuel tank mounted again before it started to rain.

Chainbreaker

As far as a fuel problem or not. the only thing I can find is I'm losing fuel pressure when running. it goes from 6 psi to 2 psi.
One more thing to check...Are you 100% sure the fuel tank cap is set in the "Open" vented position, not the "Closed" fording position?

Also, here is some text I copied and saved a couple years ago from a SS member's post describing how he cleaned out his fuel pumps:

"Ok from what I can remember...so don't hold me to all of it. Remove pump from generator then turn off the bottom that has hex nut on it. Inside is a small basket type filter, remove. After that is a small clip that holds the plunger and spring in place [again if memory serves me correct] Take that out. Up inside that well where the clip is a small plunger and spring. Mine was stuck so had to mess with it to get it out. I used carb cleaner [2+2] and finally fine emery cloth as it was so nasty. Inside the well where it goes I used a piece of solid rod [could use wooden dowel] with a slit in it and emery cloth and then a piece of cloth with 2+2 on it. So far I've fixed 4 pumps this way. I will tell you, on the one generator that the fuel tank had such heavy varnish, I had to clean those pumps about every 2 months even with new clean fuel, I replaced the tank and no issues since. Hope all that makes sense, since its been awhile since I've had it apart.
To test, you can just shake pump back and forth and here the plunger moving back and forth. You can just hold your finger over the well to test the freeness of the plunger. it should bounce freely on spring. If it doesn't, clean again."

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have Two mep 804a's One ran just fine, stared easily, put out the proper power and so on. Generator number two which is newer wouldnt stay running so i pulled the fuel gauge out of the good one and put it in just to try it now generator number 2 says its over voltage. I pulled the fuel gauge out and put it back in the good generator that ran perfect and it now says over voltage. Can anybody help me with this? i am comletely confused with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guyfang

Staff member
I have Two mep 804a's One ran just fine, stared easily, put out the proper power and so on. Generator number two which is newer wouldnt stay running so i pulled the fuel gauge out of the good one and put it in just to try it now generator number 2 says its over voltage. I pulled the fuel gauge out and put it back in the good generator that ran perfect and it now says over voltage. Can anybody help me with this? i am comletely confused with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Be happy to help. But you are hijacking this thread. Please start your own thread. Be much easier for you and Jason. If you dont know how to start a thread, tell us, and we can walk you through it. Its easy.

Guyfang

Staff member
Go up to the top of the page.

Find the FORUM button. Click on it.

When it comes up to show a list of ALL the forums, scroll down. Its fairly far down. Look for the GENERATORS button. Click on it.

Find the Post New Thread Button. Click on it. Fill out the header. Give it a good name, so you attract the right help. Like MEP-804 Problems. HELP, or something like that.

Tell us in detail what happened. What the sets do, and not do. If it has idiot lights lit up or not.

Have you the TM's. Have you read them? Or at least the -10 TM?

If you do not have the TM's, you can download them from the TM forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks