• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a just reached 17,000 hours

jamawieb

I wanted to give some first hand experience on the extended operation of an 802a I sold 2 years ago. This generator is primary power for a customer, who has been building his home off grid for the past 2 years. He uses the generator to run his camper, well pump and small shop continuously. He just logged over 17,000 hours without any major problems. I sold the unit with around 200 hours on it and the only thing he has replaced is the alternator for the batteries. He logged 12,000 hours before the alternator had to be rebuilt only because the bushes wore out. The water pump has started to leak when shut down but stops after its running. I think we can get another 1000 hours out of the pump before it needs to be replaced. Just wanted to give everyone a testimonial of the longevity of these units.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Talk about some expensive power! But I understand the economics of bringing grid power in, and how this is a better solution for some folks.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he does end up going solar, and its 24V system (will probably be 48v, as I hear thats the 'newest tech'), he would be well served to get a 28v DC BAPU so he can directly charge his banks without needing an inverter!

jamawieb

Talk about some expensive power! But I understand the economics of bringing grid power in, and how this is a better solution for some folks.
Yeah, just to bring power to him is over $35,000 and the original plan was to install solar within 1 year but he's had some unexpected issues that has not let him do the install yet. The generator was suppose to be limited but has been his primary power.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree!

17000 hours at 1gal/hr@ $2.40/gallon.......Holy Crap!!

He's already exceeded his grid installation costs by 25% @ $35,000.00 estimate.

The math doesn't work right for me.

Its one thing if you're waaaay remote without any chance of a power grid install, but if its there and available it can be done and financed cheaply.

jamawieb

I think you're thinking of the 803a at full load. He averages about 2kw and the generator will run 22 hours on a full tank. The 802a burns approximately 1/2 gph fully loaded and with his set-up he's burning approximately 1/4 gallon per hour. We figured it was just a little above $10,000 over the past 2 years

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you're thinking of the 803a at full load. He averages about 2kw and the generator will run 22 hours on a full tank. The 802a burns approximately 1/2 gph fully loaded and with his set-up he's burning approximately 1/4 gallon per hour. We figured it was just a little above $10,000 over the past 2 years
And he got a christmas card from his fuel supplier both years didn't he ?

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, my bad, I was thinking about the 803a. I stand corrected, Thanks!

NEIOWA

Do you do your own taxes? IF you install the electric co line, they STILL are going to charge you a monthly fee + usage. BORROW $ to install a power line? That's some stupid right tthere.

the MEP runs 24/7. 17000 is impressive

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you do your own taxes? IF you install the electric co line, they STILL are going to charge you a monthly fee + usage. BORROW $ to install a power line? That's some stupid right tthere.

the MEP runs 24/7. 17000 is impressive
Who are you asking?

Electricity is quite cheap here. My monthly average bill is about $75.00. Well worth the convenience.

Thats a fraction of what people I know pay for power in other places.

The electric company installed 3 poles spanning about 1100 feet from the road, installed a new drop transformer and pulled an underground 400 amp service (their cable) 70ft to my building.....FREE. And they did it in about 3 1/2 hours. Called on a Thursday for service, I dug the trench for the underground on Friday morning, they inspected it Friday afternoon, the line crew pulled into my driveway Monday morning at 0800 and were completed by 1130.

Don't get me wrong, I could go off grid in a heartbeat, but its not going to be cheaper or physically easier than being on grid. My gensets are for outages and mobile power around the farm.

Last edited:

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Average is $7k/pole here...
Ouch!

The power company here will run 1000 ft +- from the road for a home and 300 ft for an out building Free here. My out building happened to be right below the second pole in so they installed another drop transformer on it for me, no charge.

They will also install a street light on the property free if its strictly controlled by a photo electric switch. If you want one that you can turn on and off, then there is a charge. I elected for none....I dislike light pollution at night and can provide my own lighting if needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks