• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Member - Potential new owner of M1008 Things to check over

basod

Hello Everyone found this forum when researching pricing and what appears to be the dwindling market of CUCV's.
I've always wanted one mostly unmolested, had a '65 Chevy body on a K-10 frame with CUCV axles years ago and a '74 C10 body on a K10 frame.

Today I passed a M1008 in exceptional cosmetic condition with an aftermarket lift - asking price $4500http://www.pressleyautosales.net/de...make&updown_order=ASC&show_page=10&page_num=1

Can anyone direct me to a buying guide i.e. what to look for
This truck appears to have been painted red at some point and then the ODG top coat, little to no rust. Truck has ~4-6"lift aftermarket not blocks with new front brake lines, looks to have been done correctly.
Under hood looks reasonable 6.2 still there, I have a head gasket leak check kit.

This truck has "US Dept of Good Times" on the drivers door which drove me into an impulse buy mode - talk me into it:D

DeadParrot

If the passenger side is as good as the drivers, looks like a decent deal. Since you have square Chevy PU experience, you already know most of the rust check points. This is basically an 84 K30 with a few military mods.

The tires on that one are probably worth at least a quarter of the purchase price.

This post is one I purchased that is still FD red: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?184882-Purchased-FD-CUCV

ehuppert

From pics that's most likely a reasonable price. With that said, get underneath and check for rust! Floor pans and cab supports are kind of a biggy! Rockers and cab corners are replaceable, but if no floor to attach to it becomes a large project.... Kind of shocking what square bodies are starting to fetch!

ehuppert

Also, take a good look at the wiring under hood and under dash. fire departments tended to add stuff and create issues.... (butchery!)

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck is far from unmolested.

I like what looks to be the starter relay hanging under dash.

basod

So I got out to test drive and do a more thorough inspection yesterday.

Dealer's story is that truck was traded in by a local older gentleman that claims to have taken this truck "everywhere" including cross country, also that it wasn't the greatest on the interstate - would've thought with 4.56 gears. He apparently wanted something with more space to be able to take his grand daughter with him.
The body is near perfect, very small hole on DS cab corner, floors show no rust and small cancer on PS rocker.

The wiring harness had some mods with some wires to nowhere, but fixable a random license plate light wire running out the cab and laying cut off in the bed.
All electronic on the truck function, did notice charging light #1 didn't illuminate.
It fired right up and runs smooth.... then I took for a ride

To say it rides poorly is an understatement pulls to the right really bad. Brakes seemed decent and I checked the caliper wasn't stuck. Wheel locks turn smooth, transfer case shifted easier than I've ever felt one. I didn't feel comfortable pushing it past 45mph (probably faster due to larger tires) it has a minor wobble but the steering was iffy.

When I parked it back at the car lot it was on level asphalt, while I walked around the truck a bit more it became more obvious that it has a weak PS leaf spring or a bent frame.
The bed appears racked without any obvious deformation to the panels. Looking from the front the PS sits low - that made me look up around the steering box ten I could see the frame bend.

I had my GF cycle the steering side to side and the pitman arm was close to 90deg at center but lacks full right travel.
In the end the frame needs fixed before this truck would be road worthy. It could be an awesome trail rig though.

cucvrus

DSCF5941.jpgYea many have had the snot pounded out of them over the years. there is a fine line between hard use and plain old abuse. I find most are abused beyond repair. Fair enough the steering box could be tweaked a bit and need replaced and a new set of 4 leaf springs will set you back $1200. if you get quality ones. I have replaced many and they are rewarding after the new springs are installed. Also worth mentioning a bad front axle U joint can contribute to the steering binding and vibration during driving. Hard to tell from afar. But you can easily sink a few thousand dollars into one making it nice. I have done it many times. Have a Great Day. If it not rusty it may be worth fixing. I have some puss to work out of the M1028 this spring. I had so many tire kickers on this truck it will stay here and be used as intended. Hauls anything heavy I can fit in the bed. DSCF5938.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks