• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Advice in buying a Humvee

beehumvee

Hi all

Due to my lack of knowledge in humvees, I am in need of help. I have a vehicle that might fits me, but I would like you to help me identifiying posible problems that can the vehicle have....

From the Photos, I can see some oil leaks, but its origin and the way to solve them is completely unknown for me... Are they important and difficult to solve?

Any advice is welcome.

thank you very much indeed!

https://www.govplanet.eu/for-sale/H...rt|yr+desc,mf|1&rr=0.00173&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Last edited:

Wire Fox

This thing looks like it's just been sitting, exposed to the elements for a very long time. The clear vinyl is all shot, most of the fasteners and fold-down bumpers on the windshield are missing, and your headlights are missing. Because of the very obvious "sitting derelict" condition, you positively must replace the engine oil, followed by carefully inspecting the transmission, transfercase, differential, and geared hub oil levels and condition, then finalized with a complete lube order, ensuring that every chassis and driveline movement point is lubricated. As for the "leaks" there, it just looks like standard weep...either it's very slow leaking, or just a little excess sitting from oil changes that wasn't fully cleaned up.

Another point to note is that looks like the older style parking brake. That was pretty much universally replaced with a latching version and you might want to consider the same, as it's just plain safer and less accident-prone.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The link is too an auction last year in August....this is a sellers lazy way of selling a hmmwv.
I had the same thought. This should be taken as warning that the seller has done little, if anything, to improve its condition and any claims of "I replaced all the fluids and fixed the xyz", or what not should be treated with suspicion, if the seller makes such claims.

It seems like a lot of folks got excited and bid, but then found out about auction fees and sales tax and transportation fees and then their wives found out and they sell the trucks having not laid a hand on them physically except to ensure they got out of the GP storage sites.

Looks like a good starter project, and there is a wealth of material printed, stored and shared here. Bear in mind that parts are rarely found at Autozone, and the cost of ownership of a low-production specialized vehicle adds up fast. Plan on a few thousand in materials and maintenance, just to get her to limp under her own power. Improvements and upgrades can cost thousands more.

Fun, but expensive, toys.

BDGR

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go to the stickies section (top section of this forum) and look for the LEO/FD section and read. Lots of good information there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks