• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spindle threads

shannondeese

I need assistance if y’all could I’d appreciate it. The threads on my passenger side spindle are boogered. Do y’all know what size or where to get a die to chase the threads? Thanks.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used triangle files for years until I found this type IMG_6297.jpgwill be the best$10-20 you ever spent for your situation.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
16 TPI / Ø 2-7/16" is correct.

And yes, a thread file might help, eventually... But no file or die will ever restore any flattened, missing, ripped-out thread sections!

SAFETY FIRST! Be very careful (and self-demanding) there when re-installing the spindle nuts. They must both screw-on smooth and tight, with NO play, whatsoever! Torque down to specs- to test, then loosen and re-evaluate.

If this was a front spindle I would rather replace the whole thing, for peace of mind..!

texas30cal

Correction, that was supposed to read , you can get a thread file, I shouldn’t be typing after 12 hrs in the shop!!! That’s the thread file I was talking about, for really bad spots tiny triangle files work great , I used both all the time in a maintenance machine shop fixing other people’s boo boos.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a smaller version of this tool (I just call it a thread chaser) and it works very well. I ran it through all the threads as a habit when I disassembled/reassembled my LDS.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks