• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Hub removal

jimm1009

Hello.
I pulled my front drive flange off to install the locking hub and the outer bearing was badly rusted.
I urgently need to get the hub off to install new bearings & outer races and get my truck on the road.
I am very familiar with the drivetrain and have replaced the races, brakes, and bearings before but just not on the truck.
I even went so far as to back the nuts off to allow a 1/8 inch gap and drove it on pavement to try to get that inner race to break loose.
Am stuck in Baton Rouge, LA but in a good parking area until this repair can be made.
Jim

tobyS

Sorry I can't help you but I'll post a reply to bring it up. Sounds like the title should read "Emergency bearing help in Baton Rouge". Good luck

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They disassembe much like your blazer did. Remove outer nut, lock ring and inner nut and everything comes apart. Now, if the outer bearing is seized to the spindle, that's a whole new can of works.

shannondeese

I just had a similar issue. I used a three jaw puller to get the busted outer bearing off. Along with a Harbour Freight die grinder. I used the air to operate the grinder. Took a while but it worked. Good luck.

davidb56

If you have a welder like a lincoln sp100, and the race is stuck, I used to weld a bead on the race (the bearing surface part) and they would drop out, rarely needing a little tap with a hammer and drift.

jimm1009

I will post pictures when I arrive home.
I purchased a glad hand connector and 50 foot 1/2 airhose.
With air power, I used a die grinder and cut about 1.5 inches of the inner race lip off.
I then starting cutting the bearing cage and removed one roller at a time.
About 3 hours from start to finish but once all the rollers were removed I pulled the drum and hub off.
I knocked the inner race off and I was in luck.
No spindle damage at all
Replaced both bearings and outer races.
New lock washer and seal and nice and smooth. It sure steers better with locking hubs up front.
I will be replacing all wheel bearings and races, all wheel cylinders, and all brake hoses.
Thank you again.
Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks