• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Frame height front and rear on 4x4

tobyS

I'm looking for comments about the difference in frame height from the front to rear on an M35A3 4x4 project. How much higher is the rear axle from the frame (desired) than the front axle? I've read bobber threads but can't seem to find a comparison. I'm not cutting my frame shorter. I'm using using M105 springs and am in the process of making perches. Wheel base not bobbed, 165".

Right now, if I do as planned with the perch, the rear frame at the axle will be 2 3/4" higher than the front( empty). Is that excessive, about right or not enough? I don't want it to look like it is going down hill and now is the time to make a smaller perch if it's too much. I may use custom 3/4" U bolts, so need to have the height determined before having them made (saddling the spring).

Thanks.

Last edited:

tobyS

To make this more complicated, I'm thinking of reducing the M105 spring pack and using air bags to help under load. I want to improve the ride and was looking/researching shock placement. The idea is to reduce the spring stiffness and yet have load capacity when I need it. Almost every thread I found had the shocks mounted at about a 40 degree angle and especially when using the M105 springs.

I really can't see a very good place for the shock mounts on the outside of the frame and keep them vertical, but a simple air bag would mount on the top of the spring very well. On one post, I think Wreckerman mentioned making a V for the shocks and mounting four shocks. Either 2 or four shocks will fit very nicely inside the frame.

I was pleasantly surprised to see bags under $100 a set for 2500lb each.

If I remove 4 or 5 of the leafs, it will soften the M105 spring, so an unloaded ride will have some spring movement, not be so stiff the shocks won't work from lack of travel. I'll take a couple of the long ones and medium and keep most of the short ones. That will require higher perch blocks to keep the same rear height (at 2 3/4" higher than the front).

What are your thoughts about softening the spring, putting on air bags and shocks?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks