• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hmmwv Coupla advice

Navy dude

I want to mount a coupla to the turret I still need to install. I think I have most of the parts, but will see as I go. I downloaded all the TM's I can find to get the turret installed, but not sure how the coupla mounts to the turret. I have the older style hatch with the two appendages sticking out, not the round turret hatch. Do I have to get another style turret hatch? I have an M-1025 slant with all the correct turret pillars etc, but of course the bearing is the older style light weight (I have 2) not designed for the weight of the genuine heavy coupla. might even get a lightweight coupla but since I don't plan on anything but Sunday driving will try to install the coupla I have.

Does anyone have any idea how the coupla installs on the hatch or the turret itself? My Hmmwv is garaged so not worried about rain getting in the truck etc. Thanks!!

BLK HMMWV

No real easy answer to your question.
I started with the same type top / hatch as you have . the one with the two legs off of it.
It uses one style folding hatch if I remember correctly it folded backwards .
I then switched to the round style top . That uses a different style hatch . this style has a aluminum piece that the hatch folds up onto sideways if I remember correctly.
Neither of those style tops / hatch's were used with a cupola.
I ended up finding a 3 piece aluminum training cupola that has the windows in it.
I just removed the entire hatch since it's stored inside.
I can't fit the dam thing into my garage with the cupola on it so I have to take it off. The aluminum version was the ticket for me as it's lighter to do by myself.
I had that for several years and have since upgraded to a motorized style turret and the newer style cupola. ( also Aluminum )
There are 2 styles of motorized turrets . Each uses a different style bearing then you have. And each uses a different style motor and toothed ring.
They also use a different style hatch. It folds up and locks in place inside the cupola area. ( Slam Hatch)
The light weight training cupola I had basically attached to a few of the existing bolts in the turret via some angle brackets.
I ended up fabricating a custom bracket for the front right side to attach the front right hand corner of the cupola to the weapons tray.
I think I still have the old style (Swiss cheese weapons tray around with the spacer and my old training cupola)

Navy dude

Man, that is exactly the kind of advice I am looking for! I have to get the turret installed then start dragging and assembling the coupla to see if it will mount. It’s heavy but in pieces. I thought the turret hatch would be a problem but maybe at least the coupla will mount to the old style bearing ring. My garage door is a little oversized at 8 feet high so hoping I can leave it on and it will be out of the weather with the exposed opening up top. Any further thoughts much appreciated!

I might just go with the aluminum training coupla, saw a couple for sale. I just hate to spend more money unless the real coupla just wont work. I’m hoping the attachment brackets are similarly located to the training ones I see advertised as easy on and off.

Last edited:

BLK HMMWV

That is an even smaller 3 piece cupola then I had.
You can probably make it work just fine with your current tray / hatch . Your most likely going to need to just remove the folding hatch part.
Also you should find that your back corners and back wall will come close enough to some of the existing bolts that sandwich the bearing pieces together that you can mock up some brackets.

BLK HMMWV

your pictures brought back a few memories.
I kept thinking the 2 tips pointed back. they don't they are off to the left when the riser is pointed forward .
That raised angled part next to the black cupola is what the hatch folds up on I believe.
The next version tray the round one required a separate aluminum piece that extended of the left side that the hatch folds out onto .
you will notice some 3/8" threaded holes in various places . I made brackets that bolted my cupola up to as many of those as I could.

BLK HMMWV

what version of the triangular shaped weapons mount are you going to use?
The correct one for that style top is the sheet metal version (kind of rounded in shape and formed out of sheet metal) . Then they switched it out to the on solid one with all the big holes in it ( sometimes referred to as the Swiss cheese style)

BLK HMMWV

I'll look back through my old pictures and see if I have any related to the old cupola.
If I find some I'll email them to you.
PM me your email addy.

Crapgame

I burned off copies of the Maintenance Manual TM 9-2320-280-34 pages that show how to install/remove/maintain the turret/parts as well as the TM 9-2320-280-24P parts diagrams and parts numbers arranged from the B Pillar install to setting the "turret tray" Weapons Station on the bearing. The Maint Manual gives the torque specs for each fitting and the 24P gives the spec for each part number to help hunt down all the yellow zinc Grade 8 bolts, washers and locknuts (nyloks?) as well as the castellated style self-locking nuts. The Maint Manual doesn't give the nomenclature or part number for each step, just says "remove bolts (6)" etc, so having both makes it easier instead of having two manuals taking up space on the workbench while working.

Weapons Station aka "Turret Tray", the stamped sheetmetal that bolts to the bearing, A0 into A2 production, the M1025/1026 used the Felix the Cat, "cat-eared" style Weapons Station Part 12340336 you have in your pic. Sometime during A2 production, perhaps about the same time the Pioneer Tool Tray kit was eliminated to use the MaxxTool Kit, they switched to the fully-round stamped sheetmetal Weapons Station. The "cat-eared" Weapons Station is still shown in the 2002 published 24P, used in the steel sheetmetal roofing with 46"? diameter turret bearing

Same goes for the Weapons Mount, the A0-A2 used the fully stamped sheetmetal Panel Assy Armament Part 12340349, shown in the 2002 published 24P, superceded by the "Swiss Cheese", "Chicken's Foot", welded Weapons Mount Part 12469429, Greg or Todd probably know the exact date it was implemented.

The ECV/M113/M1114/M1151 began to use different Turret Support Assys, bearings in two different diameters, and Weapons Stations eventually being milled aluminum plate along with the Weapons Mount with the heavy metal plate roofing.

Last edited:

Navy dude

I burned off copies of the Maintenance Manual TM 9-2320-280-34 pages that show how to install/remove/maintain the turret/parts as well as the TM 9-2320-280-24P parts diagrams and parts numbers arranged from the B Pillar install to setting the "turret tray" Weapons Station on the bearing. The Maint Manual gives the torque specs for each fitting and the 24P gives the spec for each part number to help hunt down all the yellow zinc Grade 8 bolts, washers and locknuts (nyloks?) as well as the castellated style self-locking nuts. The Maint Manual doesn't give the nomenclature or part number for each step, just says "remove bolts (6)" etc, so having both makes it easier instead of having two manuals taking up space on the workbench while working.
excellent!!!! I made copies of the 20-3, but really wondered about the bolt types etc since I am using all new hardware. Man that will save me some time!

Crapgame

Navy dude

Btw: Eastern Surplus in Philly still has some NOS welded/Swiss Cheese-style Weapons Mounts for $129 plus shipping, others on ebay are selling the same mount for $310 plus shipping. It was $80 for UPS Ground to FL. I entered a note with my order that I wanted to make sure it wasn't going to be the offset type mount for co-use with M220 TOW Launcher. https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/5433/HMMWV-M939-and-FMTV-Armament-Mount-Assembly
Thank you, sir.... I might very well buy that one. I already have a NOS offset one for the tow but want the other. I live 30 minutes from there in fact. One thing I noticed is that it is now $199 though, it must have inflated recently!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks