• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

mep 804a not working.

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two Mep 804a's. Ill call them Gen 1 and Gen 2. Gen 1 ran perfect, started easily put out the proper power, everything was fine. Gen 2 would not stay running and a low fuel light came on. I noticed the fuel gauge was broken on Gen 2 so i pulled it out of gen 1 and the problem went away but the over voltage light came on. So i put the fuel gauge back in gen 1 and the over voltage light is now comming on in it. Can somebody please help me with this? Both generators are low hour units.

Dock Rocker

Have you done any troubleshooting? Have you confirmed that it is actually in an overvoltage state with a meter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are in an emergency situation, please do not use "HELP" in your thread title.

Is your power out?

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have not done any trouble shooting yet but the generators wont stay running. as soon as I let off the start switch well after the oil pressure has built up it still cuts off. Im new to generators like this and have no idea where to start.

Guyfang

Staff member
First step might be to look at the wires that go to the meter, on gen set 1. If it worked before you pulled the meter, it should have something to do with how you replaced it back into the Gen set 1. Lets try and get that set back to no problems, before we fool with gen set 2.

The ground wire to MT5, (fuel meter) is 100AU. The hot wire is 175B.

robertsears1

I am curious on your choice of MEP 804a generators and your use for them. I also have two 804s to run my 3 phase equipment. These generators and larger sizes are not switchable between single and three phase so they are not as useful for backup power in most residential situations. Also, after starting with an over voltage light, do you clear it and it then comes back on? Mine will do that from time to time.

Robert

Guyfang

Staff member
I am curious on your choice of MEP 804a generators and your use for them. I also have two 804s to run my 3 phase equipment. These generators and larger sizes are not switchable between single and three phase so they are not as useful for backup power in most residential situations. Also, after starting with an over voltage light, do you clear it and it then comes back on? Mine will do that from time to time.

Robert
Robert is correct. Sometimes you get a failure light, and its got to be cleared before going on.

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what ive been told, read and seen you can change it so it will run single phase but will only do 10 kw. And i only paid $2000 for both generators so it was definately worth the risk.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes you are correct on only pulling 10kw.

If you need single ph, use leg 1 and 3, lets make them run correctly first.

Last edited:

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For Gen 1 i honestly think its something i may have hooked up wrong. i.e the fuel gauge. Other than putting batteries in it, the fuel gauge is the only thing ive messed with.

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I checked to mke sure the fuel gauge is hooked up right and it is but still didn't help anything. I switched it to 50 hertz and it ran perfect. flipped it back to 60 and it cuts off.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I cant help you with this machine, but please make sure its properly grounded during all of your diagnostics!

Guyfang

Staff member
So I checked to mke sure the fuel gauge is hooked up right and it is but still didn't help anything. I switched it to 50 hertz and it ran perfect. flipped it back to 60 and it cuts off.
When you say, "cuts off". What do you mean? The gen set turns off? Or the CB1 opens, and the set continues to run? Or what? And no idiot light? When you had it in 50 hertz, what did the volt meter read?

1973m35a2c

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I switched it from 50 hertz to 60 it continued to run but pegged the meter past 62. once I cut the generator off and tried to restart it with the switch set on 60 hertz, the over voltage light came on and the gen set cut off as soon as I let off of the start switch.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the governor on the back of the injector pump look like its been molester, I mean, worked on by a 52d? can you adjust the hz/volts down before it safety's out?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks