• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wire type

fa35jsf

What is the size and type of wire that is used for the controls on the MEPs?

It’s white with some sort of maybe fiberglass or other fabric embedded in it. I’ve seen the stuff on other military machines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my 802's control cube most of it is: M5086/2-20

AWG Size 20
Conductor Stranding 19/32
No. of Strands 19
Strand Size 32
Jacket Thick 0.006
Nom. O.D. (in) 0.0830
Approx LBS/MFT 6.20
Mil-Spec M5086/2
SAE Spec AS50861/2
M27500 Component B
Min. Temp -55°C
Max. Temp 105°C
Cond. Material Tinned Copper
Insul. Material Polyvinylchloride (PVC)
Jacket Material Nylon
Shield Impregnated Glass Braid
Shield Material Lacuered Glass

There are other wire types used in the controls too.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Look in the TM. Everything you want to know,(almost) is in the TM. Its aircraft grade wire. Below is the Info/ tech specs for M5086-2/20. The 20 on the end, is the Gage. More or less the same info as above. There are several different sizes in the control cube. Thats why its best to look in the TM.

CROSS-SECTIONAL SHAPE STYLEROUND
TEMP RATING105 DEG CELSIUS
CROSS SECTION OUTSIDE DIAMETER0 17/40 INCHES NOMINAL
STRAND QUANTITY PER CONDUCTOR665 SINGLE CONDUCTOR
CONDUCTOR FORMSTRANDED SINGLE CONDUCTOR
ROUND CONDUCTOR SIZE2 AWG SINGLE CONDUCTOR
STRAND AWG SIZE PER CONDUCTOR30 SINGLE CONDUCTOR
VOLTAGE RATING600 MAXIMUM ROOT MEAN SQUARE (RMS) OPERATING VOLTAGE ALL CONDUCTORS
COLORBLACK 1ST POSITION COVER SINGLE CONDUCTOR
MATERIALCOPPER ALLOY 101 CORE CONDUCTOR SINGLE CONDUCTOR OR COPPER ALLOY 102 CORE CONDUCTOR SINGLE CONDUCTOR
MATERIALGLASS FIBER 2ND POSITION BRAID, NON-METALLIC SINGLE CONDUCTOR AND FIBER SYNTHETIC 2ND POSITION BRAID, NON-METALLIC SINGLE CONDUCTOR
MATERIALPLASTIC POLYVINYL CHLORIDE 1ST POSITION PRIMARY INSULATION SINGLE CONDUCTOR
MATERIALPLASTIC POLYAMIDE 3RD POSITION JACKET SINGLE CONDUCTOR
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONASTM B33 ASSN STD ALL MATERIAL RESPONSES CORE CONDUCTOR SINGLE CONDUCTOR
MATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONMIL-Y-1140 MIL SPEC SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE 2ND POSITION BRAID, NON-METALLIC SINGLE CONDUCTOR
SURFACE TREATMENTTIN CORE CONDUCTOR SINGLE CONDUCTOR
SURFACE TREATMENT DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONASTM B33-63 ASSN STD SINGLE TREATMENT RESPONSE CORE CONDUCTOR SINGLE CONDUCTOR

fa35jsf

Thanks for the replies. Googled that type of wire. Only one place I could find it to buy, for $38 per 100 foot roll. Kind of pricey stuff. May look into another more common type of wire like some automotive stuff that’s oil/fuel/heat resistant.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many feet do you need? I think thats a reasonable figure for the kind of wire it is. You will certainly find wire cheaper, but it wont be as nice. Unless you are completely rewiring a machine inch for inch, thats a real good price for repair work to me. Plus it will LOOK right. Ive used regular 20ga white wire in a pinch for quad fuse work, and it looks silly in comparison.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just what are you doing? Tell us why and for what you are wanting. If, for example, you had a few wires you have to replace, then maybe some one has a 400 hertz gen set that they want to part out. If so, you could get a compleat wire harness, and pull the wires out you need.

fa35jsf

So I don’t need to rewire my set or anything. A few wires may eventually need replacing but it works fine for now.

I simply wanted to know what that mil-spec wire was since I’ve seen the same stuff used when they replace wires on the aircraft I fly.

I have two projects in work. First is a project with potential military applications, hence the reason for going mil-spec.

The second is I’m designing my own remote start and monitor for my generator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks