• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

lmtv glad hand

Third From Texas

Yep.

In fact, IIRC such a line was included in the OEM kit at delivery. Ties into the service air.

What I did was just snag the parts from Amazon and made my own:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D28NTPO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021WVO8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT1MGCO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I added the coupling to the hose to make it like any standard shop air hose, and added a M fitting to my inflator gauge.

There is one caveat to doing what you present: the truck of course needs to be running and also the parking brakes must be released (so have wheel chalks handy)

I have seen people tap in a standard F connector just past the wet tank (which bypasses the need for going thru the glad hand system and the brakes being off). One fellow even added an extra (4th) tank to accommodate running tools, etc.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Attach to emergency air at rear, press the trailer brake control in cab to charge glad hand.

snowtrac nome

you have to chalk the tires because both the parking brake and trailer brake knob has to be depressed. its kind of a pain I plan just to tap into a line off the air tank some day

yertnamreg

you have to chalk the tires because both the parking brake and trailer brake knob has to be depressed. its kind of a pain I plan just to tap into a line off the air tank some day
I believe you're incorrect. I've used a gladhand emergency tire inflator just fine with only the trailer brake knob depressed.

Ronmar

The drawing shows that the trailer supply valve has a control port that receives park air. It needs park air supplied to that port before it will deliver emergency air to the air brake protection valve.

My truck had a flat when Iwent to pick it up. They had the airhose kit at the yard, but when we hooked it up to the rear emergency gladhand it would not deliver air because I did not apply park air/release the park brake when I activated Emer air in the cab. Checked the service gladhand and it delivered air when I stepped on the pedal so I hooked it up there and depressed the brake pedal while my friend filled the tire:)

I discovered the park air required detail when I went to fix my no emergency air "issue". Turned out to de a feature and not a problem...

yertnamreg

Maybe this is a difference between the newer cabs and older cabs. I have an A0 chassis with a A1 cab on it. The newer cab has the two valves in the integrated module. That said, I'm inclined to believe NDT. He's a very knowledgeable guy on these trucks.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe this is a difference between the newer cabs and older cabs. I have an A0 chassis with a A1 cab on it. The newer cab has the two valves in the integrated module. That said, I'm inclined to believe NDT. He's a very knowledgeable guy on these trucks.
Haha thanks but I did not mention pressing the parking brake release knob because I couldn't remember if you had to or not. Definitely have to press the trailer brake knob.

Ronmar

Could be... Or the control valve portion of your trailer supply valve is stuck...

It makes sense that they would interact. Might be a bad thing motoring down the road if you lost or inadvertently released the park air(set park brake) and applied only the rear axle brakes without applying the trailer brakes, especially with a heavily loaded trailer...

The A0 operators manual(section 3.6) also tells you to apply park. Actually it tells you to hook the air hose to either the emer or service gladhands at the rear, chock the wheels, apply park and emer air(knobs in/park brake released) AND depress the brake pedal... Nothing like soldier proof instructions:)

dmetalmiki

I use a huge air driver to change the wheels (On any vehicle in our convoys), in the event of a puncture.
Tad slow, But never failed to do the job.
Even on stuck nuts that would not budge by a hand tool.
I use the first available 'Red emergency' glad hand, Or the one on the vehicle with the problem wheel.

Dock Rocker

I went out and tried my A-0. You did have to take the parking brake off and supply air to the trailer to get it to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronmar

The protection valve dosnt really supply emergency air, the emergency supply Flows thru it and past a control port in the protection valve on its way to the emer gladhand. Its root supply is the trailer supply valve in the dash.

Why I was asking is there are a bunch of variants of the integrated valve, yours might not be configured to drive that output control with park air, or it has a plug and insert in place of the air input keeping the emer control valve active without air input...

yertnamreg

I don't remember any plugs in it, just a brass "foam" air filter on one of the ports. I have a 2009 model cab sitting on a 1995 chassis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks