• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 Timbren SES

Aidan Pryde

Hey guys,

anyone has 1st hand experience with Timbren SES pump stops on the rear axle?
With 1 ton of firewood on the bed, the rear of my truck is sagging way to much for towing my 3,5ton trailer in a safe way.
I guess the Timbrens would be an easy and streetlegal solution, if they really work like announced...
Unfortunately aftermarket airbags or fancy add-a-leaf helper springs are no option with german safety inspection.

So long
Knut

ehuppert

Springs are most likely weak. A ton in the back of my 1008 doesn't really phase it, just makes it ride nice... IMHO the timbrens are not a fix for the problem, just a bandaid!!

Best bet if would be to replace springs. Second option would be to add the factory overload springs and frame perches same as the 1028. HD spring sets are available here, not sure on your side of the water. I'm in the middle of 1008 restoration and bought new overload springs (to replace my rusty ones) from outfit below along with lower saddles and ubolts (F and r)

For reference https://www.autoandtrucksprings.com...ban-4wd-heavy-duty-rear-leaf-spring-22-553hd/

Eric

snowtrac nome

timberins work the same as an overload spring they work well I have outfitted several commercial vehicles with them. but as stated if your springs have lost their arch than timberins aren't the answer as they are intended to augment the suspension all ready there. Ck. your unloaded ride height and you will soon see if your springs are sagging.

ehuppert

Springs are most likely weak. A ton in the back of my 1008 doesn't really phase it, just makes it ride nice... IMHO the timbrens are not a fix for the problem, just a bandaid!!

Best bet if would be to replace springs. Second option would be to add the factory overload springs and frame perches same as the 1028. HD spring sets are available here, not sure on your side of the water. I'm in the middle of 1008 restoration and bought new overload springs (to replace my rusty ones) from outfit below along with lower saddles and ubolts (F and r)

For reference http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/...d-heavy-duty-rear-leaf-spring-22-547hd/#tab-2 (Corrected link)
Eric

Last edited:

Aidan Pryde

Springs are most likely weak. A ton in the back of my 1008 doesn't really phase it, just makes it ride nice...
So your truck is not sagging with that load? I'm talking about 2" lower. Drives ok, but the trailer hitch is not level anymore, so the load in the trailer-axes is not ballanced any more and the trailer-breaks are acting strange.

ehuppert

Don't know that i would consider 2" sagging way too much.....

Can you use a different drop on the draw bar for when the truck is loaded to level the trailer or are you using the pintle hitch? If pintle hitch, obviously no adjustment.

Guess timbrens would work, but then you're not really using suspension. I'm personally not a fan of that! Don't think this is a overload type of situation, more of a ride height issue!

Aidan Pryde

Sure, ist's a ride height issue, when the truck is loaded and i'm pulling my trailer. I thought that is, what Timbrens are made for? Flexible bump stop, that stops sagging when loaded by enlarging the total spring rate ? Maybe i got it wrong?

ehuppert

Probably shouldn't have replied in the first place as i don't have first hand experience with these, but do have a clue when it comes to suspension! Have looked into these for customers at the shop in the past, but always went another route.

Did some internet searching on these. Seems to be a mixed bag as to like or dislike. Realistically these are just a overload bumper. Suspension doesn't work once you are on these (shock compression gone!). A 1/2" of spring in the overload is not what i would consider suspension travel! Once you're sitting on these you're riding pretty much the same as bottomed out on the rubber bumpers!

And, price of these is real close to putting HD spring packs in. The SES kit for the K30's is right around $300. Yes, this is what they're advertised to do, but that is the seller marketing their product!

If truck rides okay with a ton in it you'd probably be better off spending money to make your trailer tongue height adjustable if possible...

Just my opinion of course!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks