• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Extinguisher

NormB

Got thinking about this a few years back when I got my 802a. Nice thing to keep around.

I already had the standard ABC powder FE in my HMMWV - since I'd updated to the OEM high-back seats, it went right by the seat on the floor where it's out of the way and easily accessible (some mechanical engineer must've had a triple espresso mochachino that morning and really thought this one through), then I got a halon (halotron) 2.5lb model I bolted down to the frame cross-member behind the seat.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMUMW5C/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What REALLY got me motivated was a fuel leak from the secondary fuel filter (the metal bowl with replaceable cartridge just before the distribution pipe) that dumped about a gallon of #2 diesel into the set which I only noticed because it was dripping, pooling on the garage floor (where I have a couple of FEs scattered around).

I did this yesterday:

IMG_5730.jpgIMG_5731.jpg

Since I do a "walkaround" on the set before firing it up anyway, looking for debris, nests (inside and out), fuel or coolant leaks, etc., I take out the FE and put it within arm's reach of the genset just in case. Cheap insurance.

I used 1/4-20x1/2" stainless flanged bolts, but #8 yellow zinc lock nuts (not nylock, the other ones with the crimped opening), then a cutoff wheel on dremel tool to cut 'em off flush with the nuts so the FE would lock down.

I was thinking about a 5# CO2 FE for this, but couldn't figure out where to mount it inside the set).

Now on to indoor plumbing repairs...

NB

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I keep a few of the tactical ColdFire extinguishers in my trucks. The normal fire extinguishers just have a hard time with burning paper if the wind is blowing and the cold fires still put it out.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, I have started to replace the older ABC one and buy CO2 one for the trucks. But your right the CO2 one are bigger.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Halon extinguishers in my truck, trailer and garage. They are a little more expensive, but there is no corrosive destruction to the vehicle if you have to use one. After seeing what happens to wiring and other equipment when standard commercial extinguishers are used, I think Halon is well worth the money.

They are the standard extinguisher on aircraft for many reasons.

Just something to consider.

Keith_J

Ive used Halon, CO2, ABC and Purple K for B and C class fires, I am not impressed with Halon for petroleum fires as it has far less cooling capacity compared to carbon dioxide. Halon knocks the fire down for certain but the danger of flashback is there if the fumes from the fuel contact metal above the autoignition point. Nothing beats 20 pounds of carbon dioxide, good duration and dry ice snow cools great.

Now in an aircraft? Different story as there is far less heated metal issue compared to surface vehicles.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm more concerned with electrical fires than fuel or paper fires with my truck. CO2 is also a good way to avoid the severe corrosion caused by other units.

CO2 extinguishers certainly have multiple uses.

Chainbreaker

OK, so I'm convinced that a CO2 extinguisher would be good to have around. I looked on Amazon at 10 lb CO2 extinguishers and they run right around $300 each! Why do they cost so much as compared to ABC extinguishers? Where does one find one that is more economically priced?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks