• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

battery problem

Kenneth Cole

Hi
My batteries are being drained just sitting for a couple of days. I noticed that when I take off the negative terminal and touch it to the post I get a spark. I would assume that this is indicating that something is drawing current. This is with everything shut off. Is there something that I am not aware of with the Humvee (1991).

Ken

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are quite correct, that spark indicates something is allowing current to pass. Need to employ the process of elimination, disconnect devices one by one until the offender is identified. I would start with the alternator excite wire.

papakb

One of the simplest things to use to test this is a clamp-on current meter. Be aware that the majority of them used by electricians are for AC only and you'll need one that measures DC. They sell anywhere from $25 on up. It's a good addition to any toolbox because they're also general use multimeters. With it clamped around one of your battery leads as you disconnect things you'll see the current change and when you find the offending lead you've got your culprit. There will always be a few milliamps of current in any vehicle but you want to identify the high draw path.

Common problems are with the alternator diodes leaking, the PCB, starter, and frayed wiring.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guessing it's wire number 10. IIRC

Standard military wiring number.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks