• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Differential Goes Boom

carter262

1984 M1009
Rebuilt axles and re-geared to 4:10 last July.

So I was heading down the highway yesterday and I heard a clunk, then everything acted normal. A short time later I heard it again and a couple more times while looking for an exit to get off the highway.

Got off the highway and found a parking lot. Looked around and everything good. I could not see any issues with a visual inspection. Had the wife drive me around the parking lot with me hanging out the back window and I heard a loud clank and saw fluid coming out from under the truck.

So my rear differential exploded sending pieces through the differential cover.

So now a rebuild is going to have to happen.

So my question is has anyone put a Detroit Locker in their M1009? If so what was the part number for the one you used?

I am not going to change out to 14 bolt axles. I already have enough money in this thing. I just want to rebuild it, but with better parts.

Thanks

cucvrus

Road trip. I have brand new M1009 axles in my barn. Still in the GM crates. Brake drums , cables and all. Just bolt in add the oil , use your brake tubing bleed the brakes and drive on. That easy. PM me if interested. Good Luck. I knocked out a few but learned the way of the Gov-Lok then after that no problems. Ran the same one in my plow M1009 for over 20 years. Terminus M1009 was a true testament to the durability if used hard and not OVER abused. Everything has a breaking point.

carter262

Road trip. I have brand new M1009 axles in my barn. Still in the GM crates. Brake drums , cables and all. Just bolt in add the oil , use your brake tubing bleed the brakes and drive on. That easy. PM me if interested. Good Luck. I knocked out a few but learned the way of the Gov-Lok then after that no problems. Ran the same one in my plow M1009 for over 20 years. Terminus M1009 was a true testament to the durability if used hard and not OVER abused. Everything has a breaking point.
Thanks for the offer. I have a spare M1009 at the house, so I have a spare set of axles. I just want to find a different options that would be more reliable. I don't abuse my M1009 but do plenty of towing with it. Nothing crazy heavy.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Any offroad supply for gears will have the 10 bolt locker.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Thanks for the offer. I have a spare M1009 at the house, so I have a spare set of axles. I just want to find a different options that would be more reliable. I don't abuse my M1009 but do plenty of towing with it. Nothing crazy heavy.
That works for me. I towed tons of wood with mine. I only ever had one come apart on me. And I beat it like an anvil. I learned the hard way. I found out I have better luck and go a lot farther the easy way.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exactly what broke? Carrier? Spiders? These details might help figure things out.

carter262

Exactly what broke? Carrier? Spiders? These details might help figure things out.
Not sure yet. I got it home last night and it has been cold and raining today. All I know is there are parts sticking through the differential cover. I am assuming it it the Gov-Lok at this time but want know for sure until I can pull the cover.

Matt5

Banned
1984 M1009
Rebuilt axles and re-geared to 4:10 last July.
So my rear differential exploded sending pieces through the differential cover.
rebuilt rears don't explode under a year later with out being done wrong... I would not rebuild it *again* just to have it blow up in another year...

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rebuilt rears don't explode under a year later with out being done wrong... I would not rebuild it *again* just to have it blow up in another year...
Could have got a bad batch of parts . Pretty arrogant post without knowing what failed .

Matt5

Banned
Could have got a bad batch of parts . Pretty arrogant post without knowing what failed .
Right, arrogant. No I would not rebuild my own rear... thus not arrogant... thanks. cry about someone assuming things, assume something yourself... rofl...

Op has no idea of the condition of the rear, ring gear, axles anything... but has posted already asking what locker to put in (may need an entire rear) but... meh... I should assume this rebuilt rear was done correctly and a part failed?

Nah, I'll lean towards incorrectly done, and post like, maybe not do it again... OP can then post how well it was done...

god forbid someone posts another option here... oh there goes everything.

"having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities"

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could have been incorrectly done by GM. The gov lock doesn't have the nickname gov bomb for nothing. I somewhat recently had one go off in a 14 bolt just trying to get out of the back yard.

If the original poster wants to redo it, or at least inspect if for rebuild, that's his choice.

carter262

I had a break in the weather and some time today so I pulled the differential cover and found this. I am no expert or even a novice on axles but looks to me like the Gov-Lok came apart.

IMG_20190310_161735.jpgIMG_20190310_161959.jpgIMG_20190310_162005.jpgIMG_20190310_162010.jpgIMG_20190310_162013.jpgIMG_20190310_162713.jpgIMG_20190310_162650.jpg

Attachments

carter262

You split the gov bomb in half. That's impressive breakage, much better than mine was.
Yep. It was quite impressive. Now I just need to figure out what to put back in it (the purpose of this thread).

Any suggestions. I'm leaning toward the Detroit but open to options. I just want something stronger and more reliable.

Matt5

Banned
Now I just need to figure out what to put back in it (the purpose of this thread).
Corp 14 bolt rear... whole rear is cheaper than buying just a locker... not sure of the exact mods needed to make it fit but... research it... rear is still cheaper... let alone everything else you will need to fix that current junk one and... I notice still no one said who rebuilt this thing in july... hmmmmm...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Had no idea GM was still redoing axles in July of 2018... you know, right at the start of the OP... rebuilt and re geared last july... Pretty **** sure GM did not do that.
That was satire, I'm guessing you didn't get it. Gov lockers are notorious for expoloding in incredible fashion. It's a design issue so GM was likely the cause but not rebuilt that way, built that way.
I'm just not convinced that it was an error in rebuilding, matter of fact, look at the pics. What kind of massive error in setup results in splitting a carrier in half? With that said, I do agree that a 14 bolt would be a great add.

10 bolts are turds, no matter how much you polish it.

To the OP, consider this. I know you said you didn't want to consider another axle but entertain me a minute. You've already switched to 4.10 gears. Finding a 14 bolt with that gear is the most likely one you will find. Full floating is always a plus and you can simply swap out rotors and backing plates on the front to have it match the 8 lug rear. I think it wise but it's your truck.

Detroit NoSpin or Truetrac are both options for your 10 bolt. I think the NoSpin might be hard on the anemic axles of the 10 bolt. Just my opinion and feedback.

Last edited:

carter262

Corp 14 bolt rear... whole rear is cheaper than buying just a locker... not sure of the exact mods needed to make it fit but... research it... rear is still cheaper... let alone everything else you will need to fix that current junk one and... I notice still no one said who rebuilt this thing in july... hmmmmm...
I had a reputable company that I trust rebuilt it. They put in new seals, bearings, ect, and re geared it for me.

He did not want to put the Gov-Lok back in but I figured that I did not have any trouble out of the last one so I rolled the dice and lost.

I can't see that it is their fault since it appears the carrier came apart. I may be wrong.

Matt5

Banned
Um, so it made 35 years, got rebuilt and died under a year later.

But okay, didnt know GM invited the gov lock

Oh right, they did not... Eaton corp did... of course gov lok is a made up name for the Eaton "automatic differential lock"

So you can see how I would be confused when you blame GM for something Eaton made...

I mean please explain to me how this is a GM design issue when it is a Eaton designed part... I mean honest... I aint an axle expert...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks