• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil pressure

jimm1009

While driving my M35A2 n my trip of 870 miles to it's new home the engine oil pressure pegged out at about 2300 RPM with the engine temp in the normal range for cruising down the road. At idle the RPM fluctuates from mid-range to pegged out after pulling over at an exit.
The engine ran fine the whole time, no over pressure issues, and no leaks, and normal water temps.
I am prone to suspect the electric sending unit first but with the price of the gage and the sending unit exceeding 115 minus shipping I am also inclined to put in a wet gage that looks correct for the truck. I did disconnect and reconnect the wiring at the gage with no affect.

Thoughts & suggestions are most welcome.

jimm1009
Jim

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a mechanical gauge onto the block (oil gallery ) near the starter and see what's what with the actual oil pressure. Cheaper/easier/quicker to get a single mechanical gauge on there than plumbing a wet gauge into the dash?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

rustystud

There is a 1/4" NPT plug under the oil filter housing that is the actual oil pump pressure. I have tapped into that along with the one on the passenger side which is pressure reduced. That way you can tell if the pressure valve is working properly.
The main galley pressure is around 100 PSI. The reduced pressure is around 30PSI.

dmetalmiki

As mentioned, When you can, replace the oil pressure gauge with a (Relatively inexpensive), capillary gauge.
Trustworthy, same looks. And 'What you see is what you got'.
In fact, I have replaced the temperature and oil pressure gauges on all my trucks with capillary gauges.

Last edited:

jimm1009

Hey over there dmetalmiki,
Where did you hook up your wet gage to the engine?
Did you remove the electric sensor and attach it there or somewhere else?
Is your gage a 80 PSI unit?
Thanks in advance.
jimm1009

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see that I might not have described my location well...
On the passenger side, at the very rear of the engine block is a pipe plug, just above the starter.

oil pressure gauge.jpg

Rusty's location might be easier to access. I had the engine out!

Deplorable1

There is a 1/4" NPT plug under the oil filter housing that is the actual oil pump pressure. I have tapped into that along with the one on the passenger side which is pressure reduced. That way you can tell if the pressure valve is working properly.
The main galley pressure is around 100 PSI. The reduced pressure is around 30PSI.
I see that I might not have described my location well...
On the passenger side, at the very rear of the engine block is a pipe plug, just above the starter.

View attachment 758197

Rusty's location might be easier to access. I had the engine out!

So if I'm reading this correctly, where Rustystud suggested under the oil filters I should get about 100 PSI reading and where Cattlerepairman suggested I should get about 30 PSI (or whatever my gauge on the dash reads), correct? I'm curious to know more on the pressure reduction and how it works and why. Links please! Thanks.

rustystud

So if I'm reading this correctly, where Rustystud suggested under the oil filters I should get about 100 PSI reading and where Cattlerepairman suggested I should get about 30 PSI (or whatever my gauge on the dash reads), correct? I'm curious to know more on the pressure reduction and how it works and why. Links please! Thanks.
You can find the answer to the oil pressure in the TM's. Basically the oil pump is designed to supply all the pressure the engine could ever need. The problem is most parts in an engine do not need 100 PSI pressures, so the engineers installed a "pressure relief valve" that reduces the "main line" pressure to 30 to 40 PSI. With a 100 PSI backing the relief valve you are always assured of a good 30 PSI "minimum" pressure at all times.
This relief valve is located directly under the "Turbo" on the block wall.
If I have time later I will post the oil diagram showing this valve.

Deplorable1

You can find the answer to the oil pressure in the TM's. Basically the oil pump is designed to supply all the pressure the engine could ever need. The problem is most parts in an engine do not need 100 PSI pressures, so the engineers installed a "pressure relief valve" that reduces the "main line" pressure to 30 to 40 PSI. With a 100 PSI backing the relief valve you are always assured of a good 30 PSI "minimum" pressure at all times.
This relief valve is located directly under the "Turbo" on the block wall.
If I have time later I will post the oil diagram showing this valve.
Thanks Rustystud, your explanation was much simpler than thumbing through TM's. I never can seem to find what I'm looking for cause I always get side tracked with reading something interesting while searching. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks