• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Need some help from Venezuela

Macondo

Hello there:
Maybe some of you know this country is under almos total black out...some time ago I bought a MEP002a with 940 hours from EEUU (problably the only one here).
I connected at home 3 phase braeker panel, turned on and worked ok. To be honest I did not konw for sure in which possition I should put the sector switch. I selected 3 phase...after 3 hour some lights started blinking a little, so I turned it off. Thanks God, enough time to my refrigerators to cool. You dont imagine how nightmare is this kind of situations...some freinds brings food to my home. This situations will continue.

So, need a lot of help to have this working as it should be.
Thanks

PD SOrry for my poor english.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can help! Sorry for what your country is going through. Hopefully the opposition will prevail and democracy will return.
I hope you have a hand held voltmeter. Start the unit with only lighting loads and verify the output is stable. Flickering voltage will quickly burn up refrigerator compressors. If you have flickering, check all your connections for tightness.

Macondo

Thanks for your kinds words we pray for it!
Yes, I have voltmeter...next time I'll star light loads. But I am not sure in which position I have to select?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was under the impression that Venezuela electrical power in homes was 120 VAC single phase. You mentioned 3 phase. Are you certain you have 3 phase electrical power in your home? I know that a lot of countries do supply 3-phase electrical power to homes.

Macondo

I was under the impression that Venezuela electrical power in homes was 120 VAC single phase. You mentioned 3 phase. Are you certain you have 3 phase electrical power in your home? I know that a lot of countries do supply 3-phase electrical power to homes.
Many thanks for your replay.
Yes, positive we have 3-phase, so my doubt is which 3 Phase positions switch select because I don't want to damage the generator.

dmetalmiki

Are you sure 3 phase?, For the supply for LIGHTING?. (washing machines perhaps or other heavy electrical items).
Your country supply is,
120 volts/2wire 60 Hz.
120/240 volts 3 wire. Both AT 60 Hz. (cycles per second).

208 4 Wire
240 3 wire. Both at 60 Hz. (cycles per second).
Power should hopefully start to improve when the rains finally start. (Due to low reservoirs and dams.)
We wish you the very best in your countries endeavours toward 'stability'.

Zed254

PD SOrry for my poor english.
Your English is WAY more better than my Spanish. Keep us posted on progress.....

1) when your power failed did you disconnect your home/location from public power? Need to isolate your location for generator to run with no interference from public utility when they come back online.
2) All info I've found on the net.....yeah, I read it on the internet....makes me think your power is like mine in USA...single phase 120/240 volt. Please confirm your appliances are 3 phase. Of course you ran for some time with no problem ....which gets me back to isolating your facility.
3) make sure you have that generator GROUNDED. Major important consideration. Check those TMs on start up considerations.

Good luck.....

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Is it possible for you to take a photo of your breaker panel and a photo of where the generator cable is connected (both ends) just so we can verify that you are connected properly? If so, post it here using the "insert image" icon in the "Quick Reply" bar header.

Also, do you have access to a Kill-A-Watt plug-in meter? If not, are you able to purchase one? They are very reasonably priced, at least here in the U.S. They are a handy tool to have so you are able to confirm Voltage and Hertz by plugging into the generator's convenience outlet (using short extension cord) to set initial Hz to 61.5 using the throttle cable (with NO ELECTRICAL LOAD applied) as well as using to adjust voltage using the "Voltage Adjust" knob on the front panel. You can also use a Kill-A-Watt meter inside the home to monitor those parameters once your household loads are applied while generator is running.

Also, just a reminder to never move the "AC Reconnection" selector switch, the one under the metal cover, while the generator is running.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your English is WAY more better than my Spanish. Keep us posted on progress.....

1) when your power failed did you disconnect your home/location from public power? Need to isolate your location for generator to run with no interference from public utility when they come back online.2) All info I've found on the net.....yeah, I read it on the internet....makes me think your power is like mine in USA...single phase 120/240 volt. Please confirm your appliances are 3 phase. Of course you ran for some time with no problem ....which gets me back to isolating your facility.3) make sure you have that generator GROUNDED. Major important consideration. Check those TMs on start up considerations.Good luck.....
When you ground the generator, make sure you ground it to the house ground and not a separate grounding rod. I have done process control projects in Venezuela. The power in Venezuela that I have encountered is as follows.
1. Normal power is 120 / 240 VAC 60 Hz 1 Ph
2. Industrial power is 240 VAC 60 Hz 3 Ph
3. Standard low voltage receptacles are the same as in USA and Canada

I'm wondering if you weren't running off one leg of the 3 Phase, which isn't good for the generator.

Chainbreaker

Macondo, I reviewed your first posting thread from when you first purchased your genset. In that thread you were experiencing smoking and misfiring on one cylinder when starting your unit from cold start. The last you left off in that thread you had adjusted the valves and were later trying to purchase a spare set of injectors in case it was a faulty injector, as others had advised it might be one cylinder injecting too much raw fuel (sticking). Was the smoking/misfiring/rough running on start up ever resolved? How is generator running now?

Also, from the sounds of it you had someone hired to install a panel to hook up your generator. Picture or video would be helpful for us to see that hook-up.

By the way, we are getting a lot of news here regarding Venezuela's power plant issues in and around Caracas. From the sounds of it, the situation is very dire and things are quite critical at this time. I hope your generator is still running OK and you can provide us with an update if and when your are able.

Macondo

Are you sure 3 phase?, For the supply for LIGHTING?. (washing machines perhaps or other heavy electrical items).
Your country supply is,
120 volts/2wire 60 Hz.
120/240 volts 3 wire. Both AT 60 Hz. (cycles per second).

208 4 Wire
240 3 wire. Both at 60 Hz. (cycles per second).
Power should hopefully start to improve when the rains finally start. (Due to low reservoirs and dams.)
We wish you the very best in your countries endeavours toward 'stability'.
Hello sir,
Thanks for your time and your comments,
100% positive that home es 3 Phase (hot wires) with one neutral; each hot one with neutral is 110 volt and two hot are 208 volt, al the time at 60 Hz. I will post photos asap.
Yours,
Macondo

Macondo

Hello Sir,

Thanks to your kind answer,
1) Yes I did disconnected form public power, specialty "neutral".
2) Is very similar like USA. Maybe I don't have the rights words to explain what we have. Pictures soon.
3) Yes, it is grounded connected to home water plumb,
Thanks again!

Macondo

Hello Sir thanks for your words!

I regret to say that I procrastinated my "to do list" on my genset, but every time I start it in less than a minute the engine works smooth and with it lovely diesel sound.

Yes in deed this is very terrible moments. Right now with have a regular power but we suspect rationing is on the way. My only concern is to have power to keep our food and some communications.
I am thinking to buy very, but very soon a bigger genset... 10 or 15 kva.
Regards,
Macondo
Hello Sir thanks for your words!

I regret to say that I procrastinated my "to do list" on my genset, but every time I start it in less than a minute the engine works smooth and with it lovely diesel sound.

Yes in deed this is very terrible moments. Right now with have a regular power but we suspect rationing is on the way. My only concern is to have power to keep our food and some communications.
I am thinking to buy very, but very soon a bigger genset... 10 or 15 kva.
Regards,
Macondo

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks