• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Radiator Stop Leak question

JackMurphy

Hi all, so I have an anti-freeze leak due to a crack in my radiator and I read really great reviews about this stuff. I have questions though as the instructions are unclear and my knowledge woefully incomplete..
1. It says to mix 1 pint (1 container) into 1 gallon of anti-freeze/water mixture. Obviously my vehicle can't hold all of this at once. Do I still mix all both containers and just keep the mixture handy to re-add, if necessary? (or should I only ratio out the minimum needed to hit my fill line and keep the two components separate until future re-use).
2. Does anyone know how long this stuff tends to last for?
3. Any success stories out there?

cucvrus

Stop leak is a myth. No such thing. Get the radiator replaced or fixed. Stop leak will fail you and you at the worst time. Solder is the only stop leak I trust. And only when properly cleaned and applied. Good Luck.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless your in some remote area and need to do something to get home I wouldn't use any stop leaks . They are a temporary fix at best what will also plug things like your heater core that you don't want plug . Either pull the radiator and take to a reputable radiator repair shop and see if they can fix it or buy a new one.

DeadParrot

Stop leak can work, but it should be considered buying time while you gather parts for a proper fix. Also plan on doing a full flush as part of your proper repair. I used some on a 75 C10 with AC to shift the need for a heater core replacement from mid winter to warmer weather. But when it started leaking the 2nd time, the leak was much worse then the 1st time but the weather was also much nicer. Didn't have an inside shop area at the time.

In your case, just use the radiator drain and make room for the proper amount of premix. Make sure the instructions are referring to the amount needed for a full system and not the amount needed per gallon of system capacity otherwise your mix will be too weak.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jack I had a leak in the radiator on my M977 HEMTT and I was at a show when I noticed it and had to drive 75 miles haome after the show take it out and fix it right I know its not fun BIT

Matt5

Banned
Stop leak 100% does work, I would use blue devil it costs money but you get what you pay for.

That being said, you should replace the rad, if you do not have the money or can not do it right now for some other reason, I would add if you can until replacement, if that is not doable then I would use the blue devil but I would use any stop leak as a last resort. The cheap garbage will plug stuff up, good junk will not...

Oh and someone will contest me on this, we had a flatbed with a bad rad, no way to get the rad same day... put in blue devil, followed directions, leak stopped until new rad came... this was years ago, truck runs fine and has great heat still today...

I've used it in my vehicles just trying to make it with head gaskets etc... + 1 again worked great.

dependable

Stop leak products will not be much of a fix if radiator is rotted out or badly damaged. But they do work long term for small holes in otherwise solid radiators. Blue Devil is the best one I have used as well, and has the benefit of not adding solids to cooling system the way some others do.

Had a stick poke into the grill on my 1010 dump truck two years ago. The radiator got a small leak, and I was too busy to take out and solder it up. Added some Blue Devil stop leak and it has not leaked since.

nyoffroad

Hi all, so I have an anti-freeze leak due to a crack in my radiator
Not going to work well or last, get a replacement or soldered up.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all, so I have an anti-freeze leak due to a crack in my radiator
Not going to work well or last, get a replacement or soldered up.
I just had the same thing happen 2 months ago. I had my original rebuilt at a local shop. It wasn't any cheaper but I know the tank would fit and it doesn't leak.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks