• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-1060 AAMPS 30KW Fault

Jsampo85

Good afternoon Gentlemen and Ladies,

I have a brand new 1060 Model 30KW generator from Cummins that only has 17.9 hours on it and I'm seeing a "Temp sensor #1 OOR HIGH" where it's basically saying that it's getting too high of a voltage signal or it's shorted to a high voltage source, for the life of me I cannot find where in the ECM harness and/or the plugs there in it could possibly be shorted. If anyone has knowledge on this subject and can lend a hand i'de be very grateful!!!

Guyfang

Staff member
Do you have all the TM's for this set?
Have you read them? This set requires you to really read and get smart. Did you reset the fault?

Jsampo85

I've tried resetting the fault but it will not clear from the display screen, I'm also not reading any resistance from the OLD or the NEW temp. sensor, it's very puzzling to me.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, what sensor?

DCS Screen - Warning 144 : Coolant Temp Sensor OOR High WP 008, Page 25
Corrective action

24P TM
pdf page 151 section WP008 page 25

ECM location unplug and replug
pdf page 852

You might as well go through all the ECM sensor connection and check the Packard connector. Simply unplug each and plug back in to ensure they are connected properly.

Last edited:

Jsampo85

Hi Mike, it's the ECM side of the Harness' Temp Sensor on the inlet side of the water pump, it DOES NOT have a DCS side exhaust side Temp sensor which is weird because it shows it in the TM. I'm supposed to get around 35-37K Ohms on ECM temp sensor but when I test I get nothing from the old one and the new one. it's error code "144 TEMP SENSOR OOR HIGH"

Howdy,
OK, what sensor?

DCS Screen - Warning 144 : Coolant Temp Sensor OOR High WP 008, Page 25
Corrective action

24P TM
pdf page 151 section WP008 page 25

ECM location unplug and replug
pdf page 852

You might as well go through all the ECM sensor connection and check the Packard connector. Simply unplug each and plug back in to ensure they are connected properly.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
They might have moved and changed a few things around. You might need a newer MEP-1060 TM 9-6115-752-24&P manual. The one here is 1 June 2011 date.

check the pins in the packard, are they there? are they bent, missing?
Anyway, follow through testing PDF page 151 and on
Check supply voltage of pins, unplug coolant sensor, turn unit on, do not start, check power supply (between 4.75vdc - 5.25vdc) That way you do not need to pull the whole harness. If you do not have that, then there might be a problem in the harness, you then need to go up the line and check other pins

So you do have a new temp sensor? and both are not registering correctly?

Make sure you have both TM's
TM 9-6115-752-10
TM 9-6115-752-24&P

ECM wiring harness issues?
ECM issues?
DCS issues?
Do you have another DCS to install and check with?

NOTE: another quicky thing to do, turn off unit, turn off power by turning off circuit breaker, turn breaker back on, turn DCS S-1 to prime & Run, clear fault, check to start

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
The probability of the old and new sensor both being faulty, is about 0.00%

And I would put the chance of a wire harness fault at about the same percentage. A plug being on wrong, not tight, bent pin, yeah. There is a chance of it being that.

ECM, DCS? yeah, bigger chance.

I am going to try and copy this much of the thread and send it off to a friend. He may have seen this before.

Edit: I read through the rest of the trouble shooting and every other word is ECM, ECM. I would tell you as a soldier, change it. But your not in the army, nor do you have the access to unlimited parts. Lets see if my buddy answers. Its 19:00 here, so he will not see my message till in the A.M.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Here is the answer I got back.

Guy,

ECM side of this from the ECM plug to the sensor. 00R Too High refers to the resistance. Open circuit is what the ECM is reading and informing the DCS. MT 35 temp sensor is checked at the DCS J3/P3 pins q and h Reference from the 5VDC operating voltage and what comes back to the ECM and DCS. Check the “new sensor” connector plug to harness connection.
The TM has a table of what you’re supposed to be seeing at the ECM or DCS sensor dependent like explained below and an open circuit is usually caused by the harness connector pin sockets being expanded too much and creating an open as they do not make contact.

Most folks can check the sensor to see if it has the resistance but few check what is at the harness other end. For normal folks use a variable resistor ensuring it makes contact and set it like what should be at that sensor. We cover this during AMMPS Training to Soldiers by just disconnecting the sensor and they follow the manual steps. You can do that one with many sensors. The 30KW has a bunch out there on the ECM side of the engine

Thank goodness it’s not a 781 issue. This gets expensive. Folks usually do not have another DCS to try as sometimes the DCS programming gets corrupted. We usually get things going reloading the DCS programming. 70% of the time anyway. Moisture in the ECM connectors also gets to be problematic. Washrack there. Just had a 60KW with that one and the harness was burnt from rub thru. AMMPS is a money pit. Runs great, till it breaks. Besides ECMs you can’t play with legally, inside the DCS is everything, and it is nothing more than a mini laptop with buffers for what comes in and GCU and AVR all together. Real mess and it is all proprietary. New manuals do not have the insides in them anymore. One manual even forgot the DCS NSN as well.

Chainbreaker

so, on a side note, ammps are for the rich and famous.
Yeah, I would love to have one until it malfunctioned. However, there is something to be said for simplicity without all the bells & whistles if it gets the job done.

Guys friend seems to know how much it takes to properly maintain those units. If enough of these units were ever released into the surplus market and in civilian hands to make it viable, perhaps someone with access to parts & test equipment could offer a maintenance/warranty coverage plan or a-la-cart time and materials tech service.

AMMPS = Always More Money Post Sale

Guyfang

Staff member
I have the time, and some of the dough. But live on the wrong side of the big water. I think some of you smart guys should reverse engineer all the boxes and relays for the MEP's and TQG's. Should be some money there.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the time, and some of the dough. But live on the wrong side of the big water. I think some of you smart guys should reverse engineer all the boxes and relays for the MEP's and TQG's. Should be some money there.

come visit, bring family, have a shop with heat, tools, cold frothy drinks, bring a camper and plug in next to ours
IMG_0035[1].jpg

also have a couple genny's and a 33 and 70kw load tester. And an AMi if you get things a bit too warm.
IMG_0021[1].jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks