Thread: M939 fuel tank

Thanks

Default M939 fuel tank

Looking for an M939 fuel tank, preferably with brackets

It is my understanding that the dimensions are 43L x 26W x 20H.

I have found some in the east (I live near Seattle) and hoping to maybe find one closer and/or cheaper because to me, money is an object.
    Not so much a signature as a cry for help.

4 Star General Steel Soldiers Vendor jcappeljr's Avatar
    Thanks

I have an aluminum one from a m931a2.Along ways from you.$75
    John Appel, Jr.
    Military vehicles for sale @ www.appelexcavating.com

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,567 Times in 2,879 Posts

Got your email. i may have one but I won't know until Friday when I get by there. Shipping would be killer though.
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General XM923A4 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

2 Star General
    Thanks

I have an 809 series tank in Tacoma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

The reason I'm looking for a 939 is that I believe I can mount it with a minimum of modifications. On the driver's side of the m35a2, the tool box has a lip that forms the bracket that bolts the box to the frame. I believe that this lip could be cut away (except for the strip holding it to the frame) which would give about an inch of space. This would create a gap of approximately 44". The 939 tank is listed as 43". I have 46" tires so, I can't really move the splash guard.

Looking at the 809 it's 44" and the one inch means I'd have to remove an ~inch from the tool box by cutting a strip out of it and welding it back together - certainly doable but adding more complication to the equation.

I believe, after cutting off the strip from the tool box that I'd still have about 1/2" of space on either side of the tank.

The 939 tank is listed as 81 gal. The 931 is 65 gal or 70 gal I believe? What's the length?

My future plans for this truck include some extensive travel off the beaten path so I'd like to expand the fuel capacity. I'm already making plans for additional fuel storage in the bed - something along the lines of a custom built tank.
    Last edited by montaillou; 03-14-2019 at 14:42.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post
    The reason I'm looking for a 939 is that I believe I can mount it with a minimum of modifications. On the driver's side of the m35a2, the tool box has a lip that forms the bracket that bolts the box to the frame. I believe that this lip could be cut away (except for the strip holding it to the frame) which would give about an inch of space. This would create a gap of approximately 44". The 939 tank is listed as 43". I have 46" tires so, I can't really move the splash guard.

Looking at the 809 it's 44" and the one inch means I'd have to remove an ~inch from the tool box by cutting a strip out of it and welding it back together - certainly doable but adding more complication to the equation.

I believe, after cutting off the strip from the tool box that I'd still have about 1/2" of space on either side of the tank.

The 939 tank is listed as 81 gal. The 931 is 65 gal or 70 gal I believe? What's the length?

My future plans for this truck include some extensive travel off the beaten path so I'd like to expand the fuel capacity. I'm already making plans for additional fuel storage in the bed - something along the lines of a custom built tank.
    Jeff ~ CSM Davis had a bunch in his yard for M939's and M931 tractors in Hattiesburg, MS
    Shipping and the clean out of the tank prior to shipping are cost items. They have baffles and would take some work to get "totally" dry....
    1984 M923 "Maj. Zippidy" who now is equipped like a M925A1
    1991 M998 HMMWV

1990 Kasel M101A2
    1968 Case Master M101A1 with fuel tank and gen set up
    1991 Eastern Technologies M105A2
    60's ? m116a1? radar trailer flatbed
    xm1073 flat bed 7 1/2 ton

"Success demands a high level of logistical and organizational competence."
    - General George S. Patton, Jr

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by juanprado View Post
    Jeff ~ CSM Davis had a bunch in his yard for M939's and M931 tractors in Hattiesburg, MS
    Shipping and the clean out of the tank prior to shipping are cost items. They have baffles and would take some work to get "totally" dry....
    Thanks, I (just now) tried to send a PM but their box is full...

Right now, the only confirmed seller I've found is $600 (shipped) w/o a bracket and straps. Fastenal 3rd party LTL from the east coast to me, just as a ballpark is gonna be around $300.

2 Star General
    Thanks

My tank is from an 817 dump so it's the shorter tank. 55 gallon I believe. Most importantly, it's located in Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by montaillou View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

[QUOTE=162tcat;2200466]My tank is from an 817 dump so it's the shorter tank. 55 gallon I believe. Most importantly, it's located in Washington.

Thanks, but I already own a spare 50 gal tank. I'm hoping to get a larger tank to fit in the space. While certainly every tank will have a portion of unobtainable fuel, increasing by 20 or 30 gal will give another 100 to 250 miles depending upon terrain.

I'm still not sure I can make the 939 work, but I believe it will fit and if I can fit a bigger tank vs a smaller I might as well take advantage of the space.

I may have to redesign the brackets, but I think that's a small cosideration.