Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: LMTV question

Thanks

Yeah. Easily that. And the switches themselves are ****, and have a failure rate I can only guess at. One problematic puppy in my bunch got that switch changed out for an Off/ On toggle because I just got sick of dealing with it. Lol.

Thanks

Simp, I honestly donít have a dog in this hunt, but I would quit using the logging analogy to try to show the 5 ton trucks in a positive light.

I have spent most of my life either in or around logging. Thankfully I got out! Much of my family still does.

Real loggers use logging equipment to log. They use skidders and purpose built excipient for high production logging.

The reason you see so many 5 tons in that industry is because cheap loggers are cheap. They buy 5 tons because they are cheap and disposable.

They can go down to the county auction and pick up an 800 series truck for a couple of grand and proceed to beat it to pieces over the next year and when itís done they can push it off a hill and leave it.

They donít buy them because they are superior to anything in any way. They buy them because itís the best throw away truck for the task. They are simple and can be made to limp along for a long time. Seeing one after itís been in the woods for a year is heart breaking.

I am not saying they arenít great trucks. I am just saying thatís a terrible analogy to prove the point you are trying to make.

I'm the dude, man. Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,463 Times in 2,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dock Rocker View Post
    Simp, I honestly donít have a dog in this hunt, but I would quit using the logging analogy to try to show the 5 ton trucks in a positive light.

I have spent most of my life either in or around logging. Thankfully I got out! Much of my family still does.

Real loggers use logging equipment to log. They use skidders and purpose built excipient for high production logging.

The reason you see so many 5 tons in that industry is because cheap loggers are cheap. They buy 5 tons because they are cheap and disposable.

They can go down to the county auction and pick up an 800 series truck for a couple of grand and proceed to beat it to pieces over the next year and when itís done they can push it off a hill and leave it.

They donít buy them because they are superior to anything in any way. They buy them because itís the best throw away truck for the task. They are simple and can be made to limp along for a long time. Seeing one after itís been in the woods for a year is heart breaking.

I am not saying they arenít great trucks. I am just saying thatís a terrible analogy to prove the point you are trying to make.
    Well the fact that I can buy a M1088 for 4,000. Offer it up for 7000 to several.of them and they would much rather pay 8500 to 15000 for a 931 and I can't hardly give it away to any of them tells me enough. after its been in the woods depends on the folks driving it whether their boss makes them take care of it or just destroy it. I can't even give away a 809 series truck to a logger cause they dont like the air over hydraulic brakes

Reb has done some testing

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...15A1&styleid=6
    Last edited by simp5782; 03-13-2019 at 08:57.
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1984 AM General M923A1 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, Oshkosh 55000 Transfer Case, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simp5782 View Post
    Well the fact that I can buy a M1088 for 4,000. Offer it up for 7000 to several.of them and they would much rather pay 8500 to 15000 for a 931 and I can't hardly give it away to any of them tells me enough. after its been in the woods depends on the folks driving it whether their boss makes them take care of it or just destroy it. I can't even give away a 809 series truck to a logger cause they dont like the air over hydraulic brakes.
    Thatís complete supposition. The FMTV is different. Loggers are not known as early adopters. They buy 5 tons and would pay more because they have 10 parts trucks in the bushes or because they donít want to change. It has very little to do with the actual truck.

My point has nothing to do with if foresters use LMTVís or not. My point is all of the guys who work in the woods that I know buy the 5 ton series trucks not because of there unbelievable power or wiz bang design. They buy them because they are available , very cheap (compared to actual logging equipment) and disposable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

My 2 cents for hat its worth, the 3208 was a gutless throw away motor too but there are thousands of them out there still running making money today. The 3116 could use some better turbo mapping for a vehicle application the mill spec engines were actually industrial spec engines which may account for the turbo lag they experience. I use my lmtv for a mobile equipment service truck it has served me well for the last 2 years except for stupid door latches which I intend to upgrade soon. Those who don't like the electronics in them well they just don't want to change, I'm guilty of this to. that's why I specifically went looking for a 3116 rather than a 3126. as for the logging industry I suspect they are like miners they like the idea of being able to jerry rig something rather than fix it right, if the rig works till the end of the season its a fix, why fix it right later. This is a little tough to do with all the relays and complex systems in the fmtv family, also having a few throwaway parts Riggs in the back forty is a plus. I see nothing wrong with the fmtv family I work on much more complex commercial stuff as a plus the ride is muck better than a duce the heater works good and the cab seals up so I don't have to dig a snow drift out of the drivers seat to drive it in the morning. I cut my teeth on a duce and nothing sounds sexier than a multi fuel with a whistler turbo, but don't call an fmtv gutless when a duce only has a hundred and thirty five horsepower, the fmtv may not snap your neck on take off because of the torque converter fluid coupling but it will put the power to the ground and every shift in made under boost not dropping to 0 like a duce does. There is nothing wrong with wedge brakes, they are the standard in Europe so the system isn't obsolete like truck mechanics here would have you believe, its just different.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowtrac nome For This Useful Post:

1951M1078 (03-13-2019), Blairg (03-13-2019), pontiac62 (03-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,201 Posts

Some are for old trucks some are not.
    I've had from deuce to hemit and I absolutely love the FMTV trucks
    Member of peanut gallery

4 Star General Steel Soldiers Vendor Suprman's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 1,465 Posts

I like my lmtvs. I think it comes down to personal preference. The m939 trucks were designed with dual tires so when the military went to super singles the larger diameter lead to higher road speed as an unintended consequence. I have pulled with both series trucks and I can say that stock vs stock, a lmtv 6x6 chained up to a m939 6x6, the lmtv would win.

Thanks

I know my wrecker would lol.
    Member of peanut gallery

Thanks

not to start arguments but 6 wheels don't always equate to more tractive force I remember trying to use a m 35 to pull a dead cat track loader the duce wouldn't budge it yet my gen 1 dodge cummins 4x4 was able to pull it a quarter mile out to the road where we could get a truck and trailer to pick it up. That was one of the selling points for me on the lmtv vs duce 5ton or mtv, I wasn't moving a gazillion tons across soft ground I really didn't need the extra flotation or foot print of a 6x6 , so why take the tire and break maintenance of an unnecessary extra axle. I know yes a duce can be bobbed or altered, I get paid to work on other peoples equipment not mine, If i'm working on my stuff its costing me more than the parts.

Thanks

There had to be something seriously wrong with m35.
    Had 4x4 lmtv and 6x6 beats it.
    Went some crazy places at Georgia rally and never got stuck. A 4x4 gets twisted the right way in a hole and your done.
    Member of peanut gallery

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast