• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Boots measurements

rustystud

This is a general call out to all here.
Is anyone replacing their axle boots at this time ? If so can you measure the diameter of the top and bottom grooves the boot sits in. At this time "bulldogger" is attempting to make some boots out of heavy duty "Ballistic Nylon" material. He has a new NOS axle boot as a pattern, but he needs this extra information to finish the first test one. Gimpyrobb has agreed to test it as soon as it is done.
I bought the axle boot for Bulldogger to make a pattern from, that is why I'm involved. I truly believe this will help us all with our axle boot problems.
So anyone out there working on one who can help ?
Gerhard do you have one of your handy diagrams with this information on it ?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
For installation of a dust boot kit part 57K3613 NSN2530-00-741-0883 It uses two formed wires.
The large is 5340-00-707-1099
The small is 5340-00-707-1100
Part Target shows both to be .188" wire differing only in the loop size.
Small loop ID 7.250" nominal.
Large loop 10.25" to 10.312" nominal (within a 16th)
Depending on the dust boot material used then the machined groove must accept one layer of the dust boot material and half the dia. of the wire...(.094"?).
This information applies if you are asking what I think you are asking.
And a picture for the general.
dust boot wire IMG_5411.jpg

I see that the grooves are deep enough to accept the zipper so there is leeway there. Here is my "helping hands" photo.
boots helping hands IMG_5410.jpg
IMG_5412.jpg

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will come up with both measurements, later today.

Edit to add: pics with requested info....
Steering knuckle groove.jpg Axle housing groove.PNG

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep, chuck it up and cleanup with a 1/4" radius form tool..........
Part 49 on the drawing in the TM's that does not declare the size of the groove
So I see WHY the conjecture
Thank You gringeltaube.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suppose the ballistic nylon is more abrasion and tear resistant than the silicone rubber that is currently being used? Probably a bit thinner, too, maybe makes it easier to clamp. I am happy with the boots I have right now, but :beer:

Does ballistic nylon do ok with oil and grease?

If that works out there is a sizeable market with all the mudders and crawlers running Rockwell axles.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ballistic nylon can be glued with H-66 nice from what I have read (and will try soon). I'm wondering about lap joints where its glued together at the seams ???

I don't know it's resistance to oil and grease....but don't weld around it as it don't like (red) hot metal, being a plastic.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will come up with both measurements, later today.

Edit to add: pics with requested info....
View attachment 758120 View attachment 758121
I can work with that! Looks great. Many thanks gringeltaube. It will probably be Sunday before I can try again, but I'll see about refining my pattern. I also have a heavy-duty rollover foot now to sew a nice thick seam on the outside edges of the fabric.

I believe I will go ahead and buy a handful of heavy brass zippers, as this seems viable now. My original prototype was made with plastic zippers from the fabric store...

Online search bring sup several hits that state BN is resistant to oils. I guess we'll have to try it and see.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I better get going, seeing the interest.

I began my next MBA class today, so my time is constrained, and I'm building soft slant backs again, and last but not least, prepping for an October wedding (my first, and hopefully last).

Just to put my timeline in perspective.

But we need the $ from sales of these projects for the wedding, so we have that incentive. I may teach my fiancee to use the hand crank sewing machine I made my initial soft slant back prototypes on, since it would be good enough to put zippers into the patterns once I use the industrial rollover foot to make a nice lip to catch the retaining wire clamp on the boots.

It won't take long to recalculate my measurements for the conical boot pattern, since I saved it all. Took me an hour to remember my freshman year trigonometry to make that! SOH CAH TOA, finally came in handy 30-odd years after I learned it... Take that Mr. Blackwell! (my HS math teacher ;)

I ordered a handful of #10 brass zippers to begin Mk2 prototypes with. Once they come in, I will turn out several Mk2 boots, to work with folks interested here in putting them on and providing feedback.

Bulldogger

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
i may teach my fiancee ~ once i use the industrial rollover foot to make a nice lip to catch the retaining wire clamp on the boots.
~ long to recalculate my measurements for the conical boot pattern ~ trigonometry to make that! Soh cah toa, finally came in handy 30-odd years after i learned it...
soh cah toa !

rustystud

I guess I better get going, seeing the interest.

I began my next MBA class today, so my time is constrained, and I'm building soft slant backs again, and last but not least, prepping for an October wedding (my first, and hopefully last).

Just to put my timeline in perspective.

But we need the $ from sales of these projects for the wedding, so we have that incentive. I may teach my fiancee to use the hand crank sewing machine I made my initial soft slant back prototypes on, since it would be good enough to put zippers into the patterns once I use the industrial rollover foot to make a nice lip to catch the retaining wire clamp on the boots.

It won't take long to recalculate my measurements for the conical boot pattern, since I saved it all. Took me an hour to remember my freshman year trigonometry to make that! SOH CAH TOA, finally came in handy 30-odd years after I learned it... Take that Mr. Blackwell! (my HS math teacher ;)

I ordered a handful of #10 brass zippers to begin Mk2 prototypes with. Once they come in, I will turn out several Mk2 boots, to work with folks interested here in putting them on and providing feedback.

Bulldogger
Didn't I tell you there would be tremendous interest if this works out !
Most of us are so sick and tired of replacing those stupid boots ! It was getting to the point of replacing them once a year !
I remember I was so glad that someone finally made them out of "Silicone" . I thought "at last a boot that will last ! " . Well that happiness didn't "last" long after the first one tore open !!! Then someone else made them out of thicker "Silicone" so I bought those. I tore the first one trying to get it on !
Of course if these don't work out, you can cuss me out for bringing up this idea to you "Bulldogger" ! But I have great hope these will be the ticket.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heavy brass zippers are on their way. I’ll push out a few sets quick for beta testers best I can.
Seems you were right Rustystud
Bulldogger

searls84

I’ll Be interested in a pair. My boots are lasting about 6-8 months before dry rotting. The climate is great for metal but a death sentence for rubber! All I can say is I have gotten very good at putting boots on over the years, but would happily never have to do it again!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the zippers came in and I had a few moments free this morning.

First is a photo of the diagrams and planning. I used the diameters supplied to come up with conical measurements to join the two circles (axle and hub) with a 6.5” gap between for the 8” #10 brass zipper. I added 1/4”-1/2” all around to the calculated radius so as to have some extra to put the retaining ring on.

And next a photo of the finished boots. The outer and inner edges are rollover stitched with the idea of this triple thickness seam holding the retaining ring well, the sides at the zipper are fold stitched and then the zippers are double stitched.

They are made of 1500 Denier Ballistic Nylon and the zippers are brass for longevity.

Who will be my beta tester for this Mk2? First to PM me with name and address and agreement to the below request gets them

I will ship these two to you free of charge in exchange for your pledge to mount them and provide feedback week to ten days after receipt. This includes pictures posted here and tell us where an extra bit of material or less material might be better.

Bulldogger

25CBE896-27EE-45A2-BB44-04B95071A9EB.jpgB3649A11-EBE0-424A-8B58-BB4CDCE69F29.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks