• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Axle Boots measurements

matt444

Test fit the boots today,
It looks like they will work eventually with some minor changes!
The first issue is the factory clamps are to large to hold the boot need some way to thicken up the edge.
2nd the small side of boot is to large need to make it at least 2" smaller.
3rd need to make boot 2" narrower,
Also large side of boot is the perfect size but would recommend putting the seam on the other side so clamp would have something to hold on to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt, not to underestimate your contribution to this project, but there are just too many variables involved to get this to fit and work perfectly. What you listed are not just "minor" changes, IMO. The way this is going I foresee many more test-fits...

Really, the manufacturer AKA "Bulldogger" should mount himself a fixture - using an actual front housing & knuckle - to be able to try his boots on, on the spot.

I would gladly donate the necessary parts for this but the shipping would cost a small fortune.
Unless of course......... Has anyone heard from member Adrianspeeder, lately? We need him and his C-17 team to come to this part of the world...!;-)

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first issue is the factory clamps are to large to hold the boot need some way to thicken up the edge.
2nd the small side of boot is to large need to make it at least 2" smaller.
3rd need to make boot 2" narrower,
Also large side of boot is the perfect size but would recommend putting the seam on the other side so clamp would have something to hold on to.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the update Matt. I've been busy w/ school but ti is beginning to slack up. I should have more time in two weeks.

I will contact you then for some more details, there's not enough to go on to a second pattern (as GTaube points out).

A fitting fixture would be optimal, but it's not practical. If I can get the measurements on the pattern correct, by using the same equipment and setup for each one, I think it sill be sufficiently repeatable.

BDGR

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What the heck. I've never changed boots before, but mine need changing now, so I'll volunteer. I have a set I ordered from someone, but hopefully yours will be the bomb and I won't need them anytime soon.
Nice thought there Russ but boots for the Deuce not your 5 tonner.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm restarting my effort on this.

I've reviewed my calculations and they seem accurate, with some fudge factor to allow for the lip/channel of the boot mounting points.

The outer (larger) radius/circumference seem OK, since Matt says that side fits (a need for a better lip notwithstanding, I can just roll that seam the opposite direction, no problem there).

Matt, the inner (smaller) radius seems a problem, give what you say about being 2" smaller, and Gringeltaube's diameter supplied.
Matt, would you be able to run a string around your inner channel and measure it? According to calculations vs GT's diameter, you should get just over 21". My boot has 22.5 circumference, which is a hair large. I figured it could be tightened over, but I conceded a little is a lot when dealing with circular measurements. I had to give some leeway to get over the lip of the channel.

I have made a new calculation/drawing to give a 4.5" length of the distance between the inner and outer edges, but need to confirm the inner diameter/circumference before I cut a new pattern and try again.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That applies to anyone with an M35A2 for that matter: "would you be able to run a string around your inner channel and measure it? According to calculations vs GT's diameter, you should get just over 21" (according to my calculations)."

BDGR

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Matt, hmmm not sure how I managed 25” but I’ll have to figure it out so it doesn’t happen again.
Mill cut the new pattern and have another go this week.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing to report. As has been mentioned, I really need access to a Deuce and preferably my own mock-up to test fit and refine the design on. It would be an endless series of blind tries, making tweaks and mailing it off for a stranger to fit. Can't imagine finding success.
I'm busy now w getting married, then closing up shop and moving and so forth these next several months, so won't have idle time to sit and mull it over or search for a local Deuce owner to befriend.
Bulldogger

rustystud

Well I came across something interesting tonight. I was reading on old PM magazine article on the M135's and came across a repair fix some military mechanics where doing for the steering knuckle boots. They posted it in the PM magazine.
Here's the fix.

View attachment Scan0178.pdf

I had one of these trucks. I posted about having a fabric boot a few years ago but could not confirm where it came from. This is what gave me the idea to make the boot out of a heavy nylon material in the first place. So if these mechanics could make it work back then, we should be able to make it work today.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks