Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: M1090 seems to be starving for fuel under any load

Corporal
    Thanks

Default M1090 seems to be starving for fuel under any load

My M1090 seems to have very low fuel pressure at the IP as it almost stalls under any load. It acts like it just isn't getting enough fuel. I've changed both filters with no change at all. It runs at wide open throttle while sitting still in neutral but as soon as I start to drive it empty, it won't even get out of 3rd gear without bogging down. I can stop put it in neutral and it'll eventually rev back up but the process is repeated as soon as I take off again. Is there a screen on the pickup in the tank? I've thought of changing the rubber fuel lines although I don't see any seepage. I just picked this truck up so no idea how long it's been like this. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Is the air filter good?
    Current MVs
    M1078

Want list
    MB or GPW
    DUKW

Past MVs
    M422A1
    M1008
    M1009
    M1010

Corporal
    Thanks

It appears to be. I've also noticed that if it sits for a couple days, it sounds like it's getting some air in the system when I first start it. The primer bulb doesn't feel tight either after it sits.

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,775 Times in 2,006 Posts

Sounds like an air leak. Super bad for injection system.

3 Star General
    Thanks

Check the fuel lines, age causes them to crack and suck air.
    Present
    2008 M1078A1 W/W
    2006 M1078A1
    2006 M1078A1
    2005 M1078A1
    2005 M1084A1 W/MHE
    1998 M1078
    1998 M1078 W/W
    1995 M1078
    1987 FLU419

Gone but not forgotten
    1998 M1088 for parts
    2003 M1078A1 W/W for parts
    1994 M1078
    2003 M1078A1

Corporal
    Thanks

I'll change all the lines. The supply line appears to be newer than the others but also looks smaller in diameter? What is the correct size supply line? Can't imagine that it should be smaller than the return.

Thanks

Crownfire,
    I just went through this myself and Steve in Kentucky also. This is what I did. Hose is 3/8 inch line and -6 AN fittings. I used pushlock style fittings and hose so I can make my own hoses. I also found that the Primer bulb was leaking. You can get it all at your local Parker store. They usually have the primer housing and filter set in stock. However, they don't sell the filter housing as a kit with the 24v heater element. But you can use your old one. After I installed two of these filter primer units (they would both leak air) and the fuel would return to the tank. Here is Parkers tech quote, "these primer housings are NOS. We don't sell many of these units anymore and the units that we do sell are probably on the shelf for about 10 years. We recommend that anyone who replaces or uses this unit also put an inline check valve at the tank. That way the fuel will not be able to drain back." End quote. So, until I installed the check valve I had issues starting the truck. I had to prime it every time it sat for a few days. I installed a summit racing inline check valve part number SUM-220192B. You will also need two pushlock -6AN fittings to put in the hose and then attach the check valve. Once I installed this check valve I've had no issues. Sucks to have to deal with these primer bulbs leaking air but it is what it is I guess. And they are not cheap! Good luck and hope you get it running soon.
    Eric 619-952-4337

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Duckworthe For This Useful Post:

aleigh (12-12-2018)

Thanks

my cat guy said ditch the filter and housing and put on a racor with no primer than add a cat pimer working on getting part numbers together now

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snowtrac nome View Post
    my cat guy said ditch the filter and housing and put on a racor with no primer than add a cat pimer working on getting part numbers together now
    I was wondering if you had done this to yours. I remember you mentioning it in another post. Question I have where would you mount the primer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

Thanks

I should have stated clearer in LAST post that I did replace my filter/primer with the RACOR unit. I purchased it through Parker store. They carry RACOR.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast