• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Several M998 doubts

beehumvee

Hello all!

I can say that I am going to be the owner of a M998. I have already selected a vehicle, which took at least two months to be in my hands...

I have several doubts: I have been Reading the LEO post regarding what to do when buying a HMMWV, and it inform about replacing all fluids and filters, but how many filters are in a humvee? I know for the res of the vehicles that there are the engine oil filter, the air filter, and the fuel filter, is there any aditional filter to replace??

Regarding the other fluids: I am not going to make enought miles on the truck to get the recomended miles to change fluids, so there should be the time the fact that determine the fluids replacement: how often should I replace the fluids (engine oil, coolant, hubs oil, and so)?

On the other hand there is the hoses issue: What hoses do you recomend me to replace??? is there any hoses kit for this vehicles??

I am also interested in a four man soft top with the cargo cover, in one pice, like the ambulance one, any recomendation of a source?? Maybe looking for a used one... I am not sure if the ambulance soft top will fit in a m998, i think the ambulance is taller... I like the red cross!!!

Finally I would like to have soft half doors particularly in the front passenger side... although I think there are not for sale Aren´t they?? I have also though about a strap like jeep have.... are there some thing like that for humvees???

Thank you so much for all the help involved...

I will post potos when I have the truck!!!!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Service intervals can be found in the TMs. They state a time period or mileage for replacement of fluids and certain items. Army would do annual services in which fluids were replaced for Active component vehicles. Reserve/NG component may have services done every 2 years instead.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is also a filer in the transmission. It is recommended to change the fluids because you cannot know how long since the last service. Inspect all belts and hoses and replace as needed. It may be in good shape and you may be able to do it at a later date.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You seem to own several cars, so I'm surprised by your questions...

Change all rubber hoses and belts. Change all fluids. Replace the batteries. Check pressure all tires. Replace all bulbs. Keep a spare matching PCB in the vehicle. If tires are cracked, replace them.

You can't tell me you own an Willy's Jeep, THREE Land Rovers, an 1955 Oldsmobile, and you don't know these things.

You were directed to the TM/Technical manuals section several times in other posts AND were directed to https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?90657-LEO-FD-HMMWV-Check-List-amp-Part-Numbers in other posts. Did you read the TM's and the LEO link?

Last edited:

beehumvee

Service intervals can be found in the TMs. They state a time period or mileage for replacement of fluids and certain items. Army would do annual services in which fluids were replaced for Active component vehicles. Reserve/NG component may have services done every 2 years instead.
Thanks bikeman, I have printed the LO. although there are a few misunderstandings!!

beehumvee

There is also a filer in the transmission. It is recommended to change the fluids because you cannot know how long since the last service. Inspect all belts and hoses and replace as needed. It may be in good shape and you may be able to do it at a later date.
Will do it. You mean there is a filter in the transmission? I have never seen that before in any other vehicle. Thank you Ken !

beehumvee

You seem to own several cars, so I'm surprised by your questions...

Change all rubber hoses and belts. Change all fluids. Replace the batteries. Check pressure all tires. Replace all bulbs. Keep a spare matching PCB in the vehicle. If tires are cracked, replace them.

You can't tell me you own an Willy's Jeep, THREE Land Rovers, an 1955 Oldsmobile, and you don't know these things.

You were directed to the TM/Technical manuals section several times in other posts AND were directed to https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?90657-LEO-FD-HMMWV-Check-List-amp-Part-Numbers in other posts. Did you read the TM's and the LEO link?
Dear Tobash, Thank you for your help! You are right! I own serveral cars, and know some mechanic things, but not that much...

I am asking questions about a humvee, because it is a quite different vehicle. I have never had a vehicle that can be driven with a punched tire. Also never have had a vehicle with a oil filter in the transmission. There are also two other factors that need to have in consideration. English is not my mother language, so there are several technical words hard to understand to me... also looking for the spares to the humvee from thosands of miles away the USA is neither that easy. This is the reason because I ask for help in some themes that four you can appear as an easy things that I should know, but I don´t.

I know that there are at least two hoses: up radiator, and down radiator, but could be more for the heater as well. is there any ather hose that need to have in consideration? is there any hoses kit??

Regarding filters there are those filters (that I know): oil engine filter, air filter, fuel filter and transmission filter, Is there any other filter??? Where can I find the filters reference to identify and buy them?

Again thank you all for yuor help, and sorry if I am disturbing.

Regards

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh....Half soft doors? Check with Bulldogger on here
Thanks for the referral Wheelspinner. I'm not sure that shipping to Spain is worth the effort, though I can check. I do have one set of OD Green half doors available, but I would have to check not only shipping costs but whether parts for HMMWVs are subject to ITAR restrictions because the HMMWV is considered a combat vehicle...

beehumvee, my build for my first set of doors begins here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...lexandria-VA&p=2045119&viewfull=1#post2045119
Put simply, I sourced some broken/torn doors and cut off all but the lower frame, fixed bad spots where needed and then sewed fabric over them. Then they were mounted with normal soft door hinges and handles.

Hope this helps,
Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks