• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starting 802 with no electronics

smokem joe

Ok I have a strange one for you. I have a parts 802a that has been robbed of most everything of any use. It does still have an engine and voltage regulator in it. What I'd like to do is put 24v to the starter and a fuel pump and start it to see if it is a viable engine. What I don't want to do is fry what is probably a good gen head. If I unhook the 12 wires to the gen head and the cannon plug to the exciter will it hurt anything to run this thing? It won't run long as it has no radiator or water pump.

Dieselmeister

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you disconnect all the wires going to the exciter and voltage regulator (tape them off individually) you wont damage the generator. The generator will not produce any power without excitation.

smokem joe

Got it fired up today...after installing the third starter. Turns out 2 of my spares have bad solenoids on them. Starters would start to spin and then kick out of engagement with the flywheel. Anyone know of replacements for these? Hate to buy a whole new starter to have as a spare when the motors work fine on both of the ones I have.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got it fired up today...after installing the third starter. Turns out 2 of my spares have bad solenoids on them. Starters would start to spin and then kick out of engagement with the flywheel. Anyone know of replacements for these? Hate to buy a whole new starter to have as a spare when the motors work fine on both of the ones I have.
I'd open up the solenoids first and inspect them. They might need nothing more than a cleaning and burnishing of the contacts inside.

smokem joe

That is a good idea. Looks like this was turned into a parts unit because the starter didn't work. Hours on hour meter matched hours on oil filter for the last oil change. Looks like they changed the oil and never got it fired back up and started robbing parts. Works for me as I only have a couple hundred in what was almost a complete unit that I've used a ton of parts off of

smokem joe

Ok looks like the solenoid is not serviceable. The bakelite cap is crimped on and will be destroyed in the process of opening it. I called two different industrial starter shops. Neither shop can get the solenoid based on the Onan part number 191-1609. I googled that number and found a some listings on GL. They are old listings and are long gone of course. But it does prove the part was made as was available. Only solution starter shops had was to get a new starter which I hate to do as there is nothing wrong with the starter itself. Every other part of the actual starter is available, just not the solenoid!

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok looks like the solenoid is not serviceable. The bakelite cap is crimped on and will be destroyed in the process of opening it. I called two different industrial starter shops. Neither shop can get the solenoid based on the Onan part number 191-1609. I googled that number and found a some listings on GL. They are old listings and are long gone of course. But it does prove the part was made as was available. Only solution starter shops had was to get a new starter which I hate to do as there is nothing wrong with the starter itself. Every other part of the actual starter is available, just not the solenoid!
Well, it was worth a try!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

For a ONAN 191-1550 starter from the internet around $81.87 + free ship is probably the most reasonably priced starters out there for military stuff.

smokem joe

Lots of knockoff starters pretty cheap. This isn't something that needs to be addressed right away as this is just a parts unit and spare starter. I hate to buy another starter just because the solenoid is toast. Nothing wrong with the actual starter. I found an identical 12v solenoid that I am going to try. Contacts and windings will be different for sure, but it should work as a spare. It will be enough to fire the motor on this spare unit once a year to keep it in good shape.

smokem joe

Ok update on the solenoid. I found one that is the same thing with a different part number. Under $25 to my door is a cheap enough fix.
https://www.rareelectrical.com/i-26...-3-3l-1987-1988-1989-3612041000-m2t67883.html
This listing says it has a male spade for the third terminal, but it is drilled and tapped and comes with a screw.

When I first opened the box the plunger was retracted so I thought it was wrong. The spring for the plunger comes in the box and just needs to be installed. Looks identical to the stock one, measures the same, and works the same. I'll call that success!

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok update on the solenoid. I found one that is the same thing with a different part number. Under $25 to my door is a cheap enough fix.
https://www.rareelectrical.com/i-26...-3-3l-1987-1988-1989-3612041000-m2t67883.html
This listing says it has a male spade for the third terminal, but it is drilled and tapped and comes with a screw.

When I first opened the box the plunger was retracted so I thought it was wrong. The spring for the plunger comes in the box and just needs to be installed. Looks identical to the stock one, measures the same, and works the same. I'll call that success!
Excellent!!

The link works but doesn't bring up the part. Got a part number and Mfg??

smokem joe

I do. Google doesn't bring to much up with it so I thought it was easier to give a link. Manufacture appears to be JNN and part number 245-48052.

Farmitall

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do. Google doesn't bring to much up with it so I thought it was easier to give a link. Manufacture appears to be JNN and part number 245-48052.
Thank You Sir!

This is great information to know and probably should go in the parts thread where all the other aftermarket stuff is listed.

Tried searching that part number at the link above and no go. I get a "loading search results" but it never appears with any parts.

Will try again during normal business hours and see if it works then. Thanks!

Last edited:

smokem joe

That's weird. If I click that link it goes right to the part. The page with the part showing is where the link was copied from. If you google
[h=1]New 24V Solenoid Fits Mitsubishi Fuso Fe 3.3L 1987 1988 1989 3612041000 M2t67883[/h]this will work. One of the first search results was Walmart, but they sell it from rare electrical. Also, the years listed above with that vehicle should give you the correct part if you look for that.

smokem joe

This is the description from their page. It should give some part numbers to search also. Mitsubishi made the original starter for Onan.

THIS SOLENOID REPLACES THE FOLLOWING PART NUMBERS:
HYUNDAI3612041000
MITSUBISHI: M371X02071 M372X10171 M372X10371 M372X11171
MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES: ME700135 ME700316

THIS SOLENOID FITS THE FOLLOWING STARTER PART NUMBERS:
BOSCH SERVICE EUROPE: 0-986-023-420
HELLA: 8EA 726 505-001 8EA-012-586-261 8EA726505001
MITSUBISHI: M002T66881 M002T66882 M002T67871 M002T67872 M002T67873 M002T67881
MITSUBISHI HEAVY INDUSTRIES: ME017034 ME017035 ME017036 ME017089 ME017092
MITSUBISHI SALES: M2T66873 M2T66881 M2T66882 M2T67871 M2T67882 M2T67883

ITEM DESCRIPTION: SOLENOID
UNIT TYPE: MITSUBISHI
VOLTAGE: 24
TERMINAL BATTERY: M8 X 1.25
TERMINAL MOTOR: M8 X 1.25
TERMINAL SWITCH: MALE SPADE

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks