• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 DHS Systems Drash trailer generator question.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon everyone. I'm back into the green addiction after a couple years of saving money. Haha. I just picked up a Drash trailer from Chambersburg and it's missing the DC volt meter and the oil pressure gauge. I'm not too worried about the volt meter, but the oil gauge has alot of wires going to it. I cant get the gen to do anything but power up the panel lights. Does anybody have a schematic for these? I noticed a couple older threads about these but nothing what I'm looking for. Thanks.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks PorkysPlace, those are newer units. Mine has an isuzu 4le1 engine. Now I know why it's not cranking, the actuator is missing. Now to find what it looks like and a part number.
20190315_194211.jpg

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Usually the solenoid retracts to allow the fuel rail to move to the left so with the solenoid missing the engine should run full throttle. You can usually stick your finger in there and push the rack in and out. If the rack wont move then chances are one of the injection pumps is stuck down from sitting. Very common with these gens. You can usually get it out and soak it to free it up.
Will

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Suprman, the fuel rail moves freely. But when I go to start it the actuator controller (Apecs 2000) fails out on bad actuator preventing the engine from cranking. I could bypass the controller and try to start it, but my luck I would damage something else.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the fuel rail is to the left and you jump the starter and manually crank it the engine should run. You will have to stick your finger in the hole push the rail all the way right to stop the engine though. I don’t see it hurting anything. Are any other parts missing from the gen?

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything else is there. I ordered an actuator on Ebay, it should be here this weekend. Then the genset should be good to go. Now I'm working on the ECU as the refrigerant was recovered. I'm hoping its leak free before I buy atleast 18lbs of r22.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
R22 is very expensive now. I stay away from r22 units. I believe there is a nu22 drop in replacement refrigerant available. I usually vac them down and see if they hold the vacuum for an hour or so before I charge them.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree on the vac test first. I want to change out the filter drier first. I can get enough r22, 30lb bottle for just under 400. Which I can live with if the unit is good. I cant wait to get it all working so I can set up my 2 16 x 16 temper tents.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A quick question for anyone with one of the DHS trailers with the Isuzu 4le1 engine. I need a picture of what it uses for the governor actuator. Mine is missing, hopefully. I'm hoping it's not just a speed set screw that keeps the frequency close like cheap light trailers use. Thanks.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I dont have one on hand right now but its a standard 2 wire isuzu actuator. You can call drash and get the manual. Just need the serial number. Drash is good with support but they dont want manuals posted to open forum.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the manual from drash, I had requested a parts quote from them but havent heard back. I ended up buying an actuator and GAC governor controller that says it's for an isuzu. Hopefully it will work.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The controller is there, but its flashing a fault code indicating bad actuator or output. I hooked up a comparable actuator to it and it still failed. I just bought a controller and actuator that's for the isuzu. Hopefully it will be here in a couple days.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Does your generator have a mag pickup on the flywheel? You can bench test an actuator I use a variable power supply. Usually around 5 volts they start to move. Some of the controllers won’t open the solenoid until they sense a certain engine cranking rpm. If the gen wouldn’t start and someone took off the actuator to see if the engine would run and just didn’t put it back on. I think you can put a multimeter on ac volts and crank the gen and measure the mag pickup voltage signal.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand. The engine runs great, and the genset makes good power. The mag pickup works, I think the controller was bad and they took the actuator off. I can get the speed set to 60hz with the set screws, I just cant load it up too much without having to adjust it to stay on speed. What's making this a pain is no schematics, the manual is more of an operator one not maintnance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks