• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resurrecting an M108

Redpawn

Got the engine back in a few nights ago. Had a little delay because the starter on the forklift went out and I had to replace it so I could pick up the engine. I ran in to a small problem. Like a dummy I didn't take good pictures of everything before I started taking two trucks apart and now I have a line I don't know where goes. It's the smaller of the two lines on the breather pipe that goes to the ground. I thought when I hooked everything up it would be really obvious but no luck. Any ideas?

IMG_20190423_185738.jpgIMG_20190423_185754.jpg

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you know the part number of the socket you got from NAPA? Did you figure out where the line went? I could not exactly tell what line you needed info on.

Jeepsinker

Got the engine back in a few nights ago. Had a little delay because the starter on the forklift went out and I had to replace it so I could pick up the engine. I ran in to a small problem. Like a dummy I didn't take good pictures of everything before I started taking two trucks apart and now I have a line I don't know where goes. It's the smaller of the two lines on the breather pipe that goes to the ground. I thought when I hooked everything up it would be really obvious but no luck. Any ideas?

View attachment 762309View attachment 762310
One to air pack, one to fuel tank vent.

Redpawn

SETOYOTA The socket is a Carlyle part number 61-4046

Jeepsinker Your saying the smaller one should run all the way back to the vent on the fuel sending unit? I took all lines off the frame of the M35 and it had the small line coming off the fuel sending unit going to a t fitting in the line running from the air pack to the breather. I.E. the one I have hooked up in the picture. Should I take the t fitting out and run it all the way to the breather or just plug the line in the breather?

Redpawn

While putting all the shifters back in I found my transfer case PTO would not engage. I pulled the linkage off and tried to engage it and still nothing. So I printed the manual and pulled the PTO off to rebuild it. Found the problem pretty quick. Some one had been in it before and did not tighten the set screw for the shift fork and put it on backwards. I decided new bearings and seal would be a good idea. The problem now is new bearings are tighter and I don't have enough shims to re shim it properly. I can find the shims for the transmission PTO but not the ones for the transfer case PTO. Anyone know where to get them or do I have to make my own?

Redpawn

No luck. I've checked boyce equipment, eastern surplus, big mikes motor pool,those military guys, eriks military surplus and now memphis. The only one who had anything at all was eastern and all they have is a complete unit. Looks like I might be making my own shims.

Redpawn

Since no shims could be found I just made a new one. Here's my shim and the newly rebuilt PTO. Has anyone ever seen a Ramsey PTO for a deuce? I have one on a case that I took out of a truck I scrapped but I haven't been able to find any info on it.

IMG_20190525_185531.jpgIMG_20190525_185544.jpgIMG_20190525_214809.jpgIMG_20190525_220358.jpg

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like you turned down the width of a socket . What size is the socket ? You are creating the m108 special tools set.

Redpawn

Ya it's real tight between the nut and yoke so a normal socket won't fit. It's an 1 1/2 socket. I used a punch to get the nut loose but figured I had better put a a bit of torque to it so it didn't back off.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. No that the dog bones are done I plan to mount my wheels soon and replace some hoses and hopefully operate the crane.

Redpawn

Made a mile stone yesterday. First time running since the tear down. Still need to get some hydraulic lines made before I can try out the crane. I had one made last week and wow. 150 buck for one line and there are ten total. Here's the truck now. Also got an idea on what year it is now to. I had to remove one of the air tanks to fix a leak and while cleaning it I found a 53 date on it.

IMG_20190602_144622.jpg

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have trouble with getting the hoses made other than the price. I believe the ends are obsolete

Redpawn

cattlerepairman I'm not sure but it is possible there is a slight bow in it.

SETOYTA Mine has adapters to go from the old style to JIC but a few are rusted out so I'm going to change the fittings at the control box to make them all JIC. Getting JIC fittings that size is no problem if the price doesn't scare you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks