Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Field find Deuce question

4 Star General
    Thanks

Default Field find Deuce question

I brought home another Deuce today. It has been sitting 18 to 20 years. It was driven in to where it sat and never moved. We went to pull it out and the back duals would not turn. The E brake was not stuck and neither were the drum brakes. Something is locked up in the drive train. The clutch feels like it is working, the transmission shifts in and out of gear and the transfer case shifts too. I didn't have time to attempt a start of the engine. I just pulled 2 rear axles and winched it onto the trailer. It rolls easily. It does have a winch. Could the PTO be causing this. That's all I can think of, cause this is a problem that is new to me. Appreciate your thoughts on this problem.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,655 Posts

I have a 816 that sat for 10 years and locked up. I pulled all four axles and both front hub flanges to move her. Mine locked up / rusted reduction geared axles from sitting.
    Some Men tell the truth. Some Men seek the truth. Some Men fear the truth but I pity the man the does not want to know the truth.
    James

Thanks
    Thanked 7,141 Times in 3,459 Posts

What year is it ? Does it have a newer air-shift transfer case or the old "Sprag" type transfer case ? If the later the sprag might be bound up. After all these years it will need a lot of persuading to move.

4 Star General
    Thanks

It is a 1968 with the air shift. The front axle moved, it is the rears that are stuck. They want to turn opposite of each other. We had to drag it out and turn it 90 degrees. The wheels bounced around trying to turn opposite of each other but couldn't and just dug ruts. Tried pulling it forward and back once it got out on gravel, but it wouldn't break free.

MVPA
    37751E
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 749 Posts

My five cents:
    Could be the transmission stuck in two gears...then the rear wheels would do what you describe. Easy to check seeing you already have the rear half shafts pulled....can you grab the transmission output yoke and turn the transmission output shaft/drive shafts by hand? Might be as easy as bent shift forks from someone playing rough in the cab. It could also be the clutch not releasing (despite the pedal moving), locking the drive train to a seized engine.
    If the drive line does turn freely (and the clutch works, as you said) then it is in one (or both) rear differentials.

Good on you for rescuing the truck...but
    Last edited by cattlerepairman; 09-10-2019 at 06:28.
    MVPA member. 1974 M35A2C w/w "Queen Lola", rebuilt LDS-465-1A, "D" turbo, Waterloo Overdrive upgrade. Med towbar, 11.00R20 Goodyear G286, flipped hubs, remote brake fluid reservoir, spin-on filters, bypassed FDC, LED taillights, LED headlights, LED turn signals, WESTACH EGT/boost gauge, AVM lockout hubs, LED convoy light, LED lollipop lights, HMMWV seat on air ride base, M211 dash passenger grab handle, hood lift kit, 24V solargizer/battery minder, ether start kit, flasher module mod, heavy duty dog bone ends, M35A3 aluminium fuel tank.

Thanks

You said the parking brake was free? Was that by the handle or looking at the shoes??
    "It is a proven fact that you cannot idiot proof anything due to Mother Nature's ability to constantly upgrade the common idiot." WM

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jasonjc For This Useful Post:

SCSG-G4 (09-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2deuce View Post
    It is a 1968 with the air shift. The front axle moved, it is the rears that are stuck. They want to turn opposite of each other. We had to drag it out and turn it 90 degrees. The wheels bounced around trying to turn opposite of each other but couldn't and just dug ruts. Tried pulling it forward and back once it got out on gravel, but it wouldn't break free.

Pop out one axle from each rear to drag it around.
    Last edited by Floridianson; 09-10-2019 at 09:16.
    Some Men tell the truth. Some Men seek the truth. Some Men fear the truth but I pity the man the does not want to know the truth.
    James

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Not an deuce expert by any measure. Based on the symptoms mentioned, sounds like the driveshaft or related gearing to that axle is frozen. The tires turning free and opposite is the clue.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DeadParrot For This Useful Post:

tennmogger (09-10-2019)

MVPA
    37751E
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 749 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Floridianson View Post
    Pop out one axle from each rear to drag it around.
    I think that is exactly what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by 2deuce View Post
    I just pulled 2 rear axles and winched it onto the trailer. It rolls easily.
    MVPA member. 1974 M35A2C w/w "Queen Lola", rebuilt LDS-465-1A, "D" turbo, Waterloo Overdrive upgrade. Med towbar, 11.00R20 Goodyear G286, flipped hubs, remote brake fluid reservoir, spin-on filters, bypassed FDC, LED taillights, LED headlights, LED turn signals, WESTACH EGT/boost gauge, AVM lockout hubs, LED convoy light, LED lollipop lights, HMMWV seat on air ride base, M211 dash passenger grab handle, hood lift kit, 24V solargizer/battery minder, ether start kit, flasher module mod, heavy duty dog bone ends, M35A3 aluminium fuel tank.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cattlerepairman For This Useful Post:

Floridianson (09-10-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cattlerepairman View Post
    I think that is exactly what he did.
    Yep Thanks. I look but I do not see as for remember forget it. One or both chunks locked up.
    Last edited by Floridianson; 09-10-2019 at 14:47.
    James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast