• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Resurrecting an M108

Redpawn

A Cat with an Alison behind it would be fun. The guy that sold me the M816 was trying to sell me a v12 Detroit engine and a HET transmission to put in it. That would be a monster.

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

I know a case where someone put M939 axles under an M816, if that sorta counts. Made it full air brakes although I don't remember the details of the conversion

Redpawn

If you need to remove an axle for an M108 the out rigger are real handy. The rear drive shaft was missing when I got the truck and I was already changing the torque rods so I figured why not just roll the axle out to make beating the torque rods out easy. Made knocking the frame ends out a snap with all the room and not having to lay down to do it.

IMG_20190729_192531 (1).jpg

Redpawn

So good new bad news. The threads on the 2.5 ton are just shy of 1 3/4 and the threads of the 5 ton are just shy of 2 1/4 so there is no using the threaded part from one to the other. The good news is the overall outside of the pipe is about the same on both trucks. So you could put a complete 5 ton out rigger leg in a 2.5 ton. I think you would have to weld a pipe to the inner part of the 5 ton out rigger because when it comes all the way out it's in a square tube. The only problem will be that the 5 ton out riggers do not collapse like the 2.5 ton does. With some clever engineering it might work and would give you a more robust out rigger. A word of warning you'll want to have soldier B handy to pull the out rigger out of a 5 ton. Those things are HEAVY.

IMG_20190803_173352.jpg

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Thanks a bunch for doing that, I know those aren’t the easiest to deal with. I might have to look further into adapting those to an m108 if I can’t come up with the right stuff. I have all the horizontal tubes and the base plates but 2 outriggers are missing the adjustment screws and vertical legs for some reason.

Redpawn

Well it looks like I'm going to have to go into the tcase. I finished putting all the torque rods and rear drive shaft back in so I decided to take it for a drive around my yard. While driving forward I kept getting a loud bang and the truck would jolt. I pulled the front drive shaft and I could hear the noise one time but no jolt. So I either need to pull apart the case or swap in a different case.

Redpawn

Finally got around to fixing the hydraulic line that got a pin hole in it. Had a new one made at a local hydraulic shop. Also got the brakes working some. In all the line switching one of the lines got left loose and all the fluid was escaping. I got them bleed some but I think it needs to be bleed some more. Some brakes is better than no brakes for now.

IMG_20190910_201507.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks