• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20kw Drash Generator Engine Perkins 404D-22T

jamawieb

Just got in a 2010 Drash HVAC unit with the 20kw generator set-up. Looking over everything and find the side of the block is blown out, due to a thrown rod. It's hard to believe because the unit still looks new with less than 100 hours on it. Does anyone have a source for the Perkins 404D-22T engine that's in the units. Caterpillar uses the same motor, which is a CAT 3024C. Of course I'm looking on ebay and all the other places but wanted to see if anyone knew of a different vendor or may have one sitting around.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder if you can buy a short block? There is a Perkins dealer in Memphis:

1. G&W Diesel 52.5 mile(s)

Official partner of Perkins Power Corp.
892 Kansas Street
Memphis
Tennessee
United States
Phone: +1 800 458 8748
Email: bmccain@gwdiesel.com

jamawieb

I thought about that too. I called a different dealer and they wanted $1,800 for the short block and that's just a little less than what I paid for the whole unit. These motors are made of gold! There is a used short block on ebay for $1500. I can't believe there are not more of these used out there because they use the motors in skid steers and other machinery.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have a parts one. Can take a look at the engine next week see what shape it’s in. Strange that the engine failed like that. They appear to be decent units I have had a bunch of them for several years.

jamawieb

The unit is a 2010 model and it looks new. It has a digital hour meter but I haven't put batteries on it yet to see the hours. The only thing I can figure is someone sprayed ether in it and broke the rod, which then came out the side of the block.

Guyfang

Staff member
Was the oil level right? After you get the engine out, maybe look at the oil. Heat it up and run it through a strainer. See what's in it. Or I would anyway, simply because I am curious.

jamawieb

Was the oil level right? After you get the engine out, maybe look at the oil. Heat it up and run it through a strainer. See what's in it. Or I would anyway, simply because I am curious.
They drained all the oil. I'll see if theres any in the bottom when I pull it. I've read some of these engines have a lot of casting material in the blocks after manufacturing which get into the oil and then plug up ports. So it could have ran dry on that cylinder which caused the failure.

jamawieb

I have a parts one. Can take a look at the engine next week see what shape it’s in. Strange that the engine failed like that. They appear to be decent units I have had a bunch of them for several years.
Suprman if you'll let me know if you have a good motor, that would be great.

jamawieb

I know! 90% of people will spray ether when they dont start. I tell people all the time don't do that and they reply well I just sprayed a little. Then I say, well that little may have just cost you a engine. This unit came from the state surplus so I have a feeling the idiots at the state did the damage.

Guyfang

Staff member
I will look at my parts one tommorrow. I don’t know why someone would ether it. They have glow plugs.
Reading the book doesn't come easy. I once drove 400+ klicks, one way, because a gen set, (5 KW MEP-802A) would not adjust the frequency. Once we established that the small black round knob, below the control panel was the frequency adjust, and not the small black flat knob below the frequency meter, we were good! There are a few advantages to reading.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Looked at the parts gen. Engine is stuck. Now I remember why its a parts gen. Was kind of apart when I got it so the military guys must have been trying to troubleshoot it. The block appears solid though.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reading the book doesn't come easy. I once drove 400+ klicks, one way, because a gen set, (5 KW MEP-802A) would not adjust the frequency. Once we established that the small black round knob, below the control panel was the frequency adjust, and not the small black flat knob below the frequency meter, we were good! There are a few advantages to reading.
I would not have been a happy camper.

jamawieb

Looked at the parts gen. Engine is stuck. Now I remember why its a parts gen. Was kind of apart when I got it so the military guys must have been trying to troubleshoot it. The block appears solid though.
Thanks suprman! on your parts unit does it have the access door on top, that covers the radiator cap? I'm missing that also.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I sold one 20k unit to a road construction company several years ago that just needed the engine for their air compressor. This Perkins engine has been used in various farm and commercial equipment.

jamawieb

Found a Caterpillar 3024c which is the same motor, about 5 hours from the house. I'll rebuild it and slap it in there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks