• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hard brake line question

319cssb

Does anyone know the length of the hard lines of the front and rear brakes? I am having a leaky line (front pass) and want to get a line from auto zone and replace temporarily before getting a spool.
it's a 3/16 line with 3/8-24 fitting , i think

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lengths of lines are listed in the parts TM. TM9-2320-289-20P

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, it would help if you told us what specific vehicle.

Adding your vehicles to your sigline and or your posts is helpful.

cucvrus

I would opt to use the 6 ft section of 3/16" brake line. It bends fairly easy and I will assume you are still working on the M1009. Get yourself a double flaring tool and a tubing bender. It don't have to be exact. Up front on the CUCV's that brake tubing can be a real bear to get run perfect. The first thing I would do is remove the leaking line and get a vague look at what the shape and length is. remember to add a few inches. You are always able to back coil the length. But I never stretched a brake line. Good Luck. report back. I think now that the engine is running you will find something to work on every week if you look hard enough.

319cssb

Cucvrus, you're spot on again. Front pass side was a total nightmare to get out and the new one in. When i got the pipe off it felt like the PO topped it off with dot 3 or so. Didn't smell or feel like dot 5. Once i got that line on and topped off, i noticed fluid in the rear reservoir disappear. Now the driver side rear leaked. And i just wanted to do a quick fix to be able to move the truck and not lose all of that fluid... or get killed .
ill order a spool of tubing and a better flaring tool than the one i have still somewhere
Next up is to find out why the steering box leaks like crazy .

ehuppert

I would recommend Nicopp! Lasts longer and much easier to bend and flare. Double the price, but you don't have to do it again!

cucvrus

Next up is to find out why the steering box leaks like crazy .
Just buy a remanufactured one. Less than $200. and warranted forever. Good Luck. I been at all these stops along the way on many CUCV's. And like I always say my advise is not 100% accurate but I seem to keep my CUCVV's going down the road and completely operational. I think that's the idea. Have a Great Day.

319cssb

CUCVrus your advise is always highly valued here. What you say is sensible and as you said, you experienced a whole lot with cucvs.
I degreased the steering box down to the shape of the unit and ran the truck for a while. Cant see the leakage, oddly enough. Ill keep an eye on it and check the diff qnd transfer case levels next.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks