• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Red paint on front of engine.

joeelutz

I recently purchased a low mileage 2000 M1045A2 with the 6.5 and 4L80E. The front of the engine pulleys etc are painted red. Rather sloppily done. Anyone know why this is or if it means anything? I've seen a few others with the red pulleys.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone knows red paint lets you go faster. Discovered by Enzo Ferrari.

My grandad would also joke that red socks keep your feet warmer in Winter. So maybe winter advantages?

I’ve never seen any documentation about red engines before.

Best,

T

Last edited:

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I am guessing ??? it is someones idea to spray "red rust-oleum" on the cast / bare steel parts after a rebuild. It say's front end is done sign off. Quick and dirty, MTCW

Who cares at 37 MPH with the hood down, CAMO

DREDnot

Ive seen that, too.

I also wondered what it was about and it seemed to be mostly on serpentine belted engines missing the belt. My guess is it was done to warn that the belt was missing, or to not start the engine or something like that???

743841_8223_88_0001[1].jpg

CMPPhil

Hi

If the fan blade tips were painted red, I would have suspected safety warning turning part. Fan blade tips on all my engines are painted for that reason.

The painted to protect from corrosion during long term storage, makes way to much sense to be the reason.

Cheers Phil

sandcobra164

Desomodromic has the correct answer. Do a search for mil standard 3003 (B) to learn preservation methods used when storing rolling stock long term. The paint will wear off after a short period of use. We preserved a lot of HMMWV's where I work at because the decision to rebuild versus adopt the new J.L.T.V. was still up in the air.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks