• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project MEP803

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a MEP803 that didn't run. Starting to go through it. Looks like it has a blown head gasket. Hoping its not freeze damage. No signs of a cracked block on the outside.

There are a few parts missing but nothing that would keep it from working. I'll see if we can get the old girl back in fighting shape. If not at worse it will be a good parts machine.

Yea, I know in the photo the exhaust flap is missing. That decided to depart the scene on the drive home. I'll be covering the exhaust to keep things from getting worse.

Based on the info written on the filters it has around 2500 hours on it. The hour meter is one of the items missing.

Wish me luck! :)

Attachments

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plot thickens. If you turn the fan by hand (the crank pulley and pulley bolt are turning) the generator head does not turn. Looks like I'll be totally tearing this thing down.

Chainbreaker

I'm gonna have to pop some pop-corn and watch this mystery unfold! Hope its salvageable, if not...yeah a parts machine.

jamawieb

Did it have coolant in the radiator? If so could you see if it mixed with oil. 99% of the time when oil is in the crankcase its because the flip was off or left up and rain water entered. Try to rotate the motor over by hand, if it moves freely, try to start. If it doesn't start, take the dipstick out and try to crank. If you have oil shooting out the dipstick when cranking then you'll need to replace the rings. All the engines I've dealt with, that had water enter needed the rings replaced and the cylinders honed.

Bmxenbrett

My perfectly running 260hr set shoots oil out of the dip stick...so not a sure fire way to know anything but theres oil in the pan and engine is turning.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to see if I can find a reasonable replacement engine. I suspect this one has a broken crank.

jamawieb

My perfectly running 260hr set shoots oil out of the dip stick...so not a sure fire way to know anything but theres oil in the pan and engine is turning.
You may have a small amount coming out but I'm talking about a lot. Like covering the battery under it after just cranking it for 3-4 30second cycles.

jamawieb

I'm going to see if I can find a reasonable replacement engine. I suspect this one has a broken crank.
Like someone else added Adelman's in Chicago bought a bunch of the LPW4 and are selling them as remanufactured for $1000. They come with the alternator and starter so you'll have parts as spares or sell to recoup some money.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I checked but didn't see them on the website so I sent them a note. They are showing the DM2 but not the DM4. Lets hope they have some stashed in the back that aren't on the website. I expect buying a running engine for $1k (plus shipping) is going to be the low cost option to get this machine up and going.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm still going to tear this one down and see if I can figure out what happened. I have a good idea what happened but want to see if my thoughts fit what I find inside.

jamawieb

Thanks. I checked but didn't see them on the website so I sent them a note. They are showing the DM2 but not the DM4. Lets hope they have some stashed in the back that aren't on the website. I expect buying a running engine for $1k (plus shipping) is going to be the low cost option to get this machine up and going.
They are posting ads on facebook. They say they have 50 of them in stock. $1,000 is not a bad price at all for a remanufactured engine.

Guyfang

Staff member
The engine crank case is supposed to have negative, (vacuum) pressure. If oil comes out of the dipstick, you have compression being blown into the crankcase. Doesn't mean the gen set won't run. But its not a good thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks