• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project MEP803

Guyfang

Staff member
I'm going to see if I can find a reasonable replacement engine. I suspect this one has a broken crank.
Could also be someone removed the main gen, or replaced a good one for a bad one. Just not screwed in the 5 bolts that hold the main gen to the flywheel. Saw this happen several times. Lazy people, or someone who wanted to hide his "theft".

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The side panel over the fuel filters was removed by the person I bought it from. It has new fuel filters. I've gotten a bit more info and he indicated that he did run it after getting it home. He did a really good job cleaning the engine compartment. I took the top off the engine compartment yesterday and pulled the muffler. I don't see any indication that the bolts on top have had a wrench on them. The factory paint is still intact.

What I think happened is a cylinder hydro-locked and it snapped the crank. My guess is its cracked between cylinders 3 and 4.

Today I did some yard work so I didn't get any further on the generator. I need to get an area cleared out so I can start digging the foundation for the new workshop. I need a better place to work on this stuff than in the dirt. ;)

jamawieb

Why do you think the crank is broke? The cranks on these are pretty tough, the alumunin pistons usually break into pieces before the crank breaks.
The fastest way to confirm your theory is to take the side cover off (where the oil filter is located), then you'll see the entire bottom end of the motor. Should take 15 minutes to take it off.

Chainbreaker

Why do you think the crank is broke? The cranks on these are pretty tough, the alumunin pistons usually break into pieces before the crank breaks.
The fastest way to confirm your theory is to take the side cover off (where the oil filter is located), then you'll see the entire bottom end of the motor. Should take 15 minutes to take it off.
Probably because he mentioned this in post #2: "If you turn the fan by hand (the crank pulley and pulley bolt are turning) the generator head does not turn." So unless the gen head is not bolted up to flywheel there is a disconnect...ie broken crank.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was planning to take the side cover off and take a look before removing the engine. We have a stretch of good weather for the next few days. Hopefully I can get home from work in time to take advantage of the evening sunshine. I'll post what I find.

jamawieb

Probably because he mentioned this in post #2: "If you turn the fan by hand (the crank pulley and pulley bolt are turning) the generator head does not turn." So unless the gen head is not bolted up to flywheel there is a disconnect...ie broken crank.
Sorry, totally missed it. I don't know how I missed it because when we started talking about the crank, I went back and read the post again. I didn't go all the way to the beginning, I guess. Thanks.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There has been a slight delay of game due to the weather being too prefect for spring yard work ahead of todays rain. Good news is I have most things planted and can get back to the generator.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is an update of sorts. I have a few units to get going and I need to get the APU I bought a couple of years ago up and running. I'm also going to spin this project unit over with the starter again to double check some of my troubleshooting. This guy is going to make all that happen.

Look at this little jewel. Brand new but sat long enough for all the fuel lines to get crispy.

A bit of cleaning of the fuel system and replacing the fuel lines and she is purring like a kitten.

I'm also in the process of putting together a DIY plug set to fit the DC slave connectors. Stand by for that. Hope to have the instructions to make one for just a few bucks instead of the big $$ they command.

2019-03-23 17.19.53 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actual update..

Had some time in the sun this afternoon after work to do some tinkering. Went out and pulled the radiator so I could turn the engine a bit easier. Well, the crank is not broken. When I was able to spin the engine a little faster I could tell each cylinder did have a little compression. Not much. Just a little.

I also took a closer look at everyting since I had the covers off and more access to see stuff. I found some loose connectors on the terminal strip coming from the generator head in the center cubicle. One of the connectors was pretty crispy and showed a good bit of pitting from arcing. Also found a LOT of loose connections in other places here and there. Its looking more and more like this thing has been apart. I don't know if that is good or bad.

If I can make as much progress tomorrow as I did today I should have the engine out. I'll snap some photos of the issues I see tomorrow before doing any more work. By the time I got things to the point where I could take photos I was way too greasy to be and handling the phone.

Chainbreaker

Perhaps your initial assumption (blown head gasket) is possible given the low compression you are experiencing coupled with that milky looking oil drain.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, that is the leading theory now. The additional mystery is why the generator head isn't turning with the engine.

It's an interesting puzzle.

jamawieb

You can rebuild the motor without removing it from the unit unless your going to get it tested for cracks. I bet you just need rings and the engine honed, very easy to do with the unit in place.

smokem joe

If the generator isn't turning the stator will have to be pulled to check the rotor bolts. At that point it isn't that much more work to just pull the engine. I remove rotor and stator while in genset and just spin the motor out sideways without disassembling entire front. Radiator can stay in too.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right now the generator is ALL stator! :)

I have to pull the engine to figure out why as stated above. That will give me the oppportunity to get the engine on a stand and into a better working space anyway.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today went sideways at work with a LN2 leak. Technically it was a gas vent malfunction. We had what looked like a 5' tall hornets nest made of ice hanging from one of the vents. Getting it down without putting the LN2 line in danger or popping a hole in the rubber roof was fun. We "cut" it into smaller chunks with a water jet in case you're curious. That "cut" into today's tinker time.

As soon as I get out there, there will be photos!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK. I guess I have to go back a notch to the broken crank theory because its broken. I pulled the starter as part of getting it ready to come out and could tell that the flywheel is still connected to the rotor.

That is going to complicate getting the engine out a little.

Here are the photos:

Always check your connections on any new (to you) equipment!! Take all the lids off and check EVERYTHING. Several of these terminals were loose. Several terminals in the instrument cubicle were loose as well.

2019-03-30 14.23.51 (Medium).jpg2019-03-30 14.29.05 (Medium).jpg

Your speed sensor should NOT look like this! It was also loose.

2019-03-30 14.46.31 (Medium).jpg

The engine looked pretty good from the outside.

2019-03-30 14.30.21 (Medium).jpg

Its dirty but not too bad.

2019-03-30 14.29.52 (Medium).jpg2019-03-30 14.29.49 (Medium).jpg

I never like to see loose parts like this laying around.

2019-03-30 14.29.20 (Medium).jpg

Lots of this stuff was loose.

2019-03-30 14.24.33 (Medium).jpg2019-03-30 14.24.08 (Medium).jpg

smokem joe

Looks like someone has been monkeying around with that set. Every speed sensor I've pulled has had some metal on it but nothing like that! If you just want a replacement crank I can verify that engine I have sitting has a good crank.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks