• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project MEP803

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like someone has been monkeying around with that set. Every speed sensor I've pulled has had some metal on it but nothing like that! If you just want a replacement crank I can verify that engine I have sitting has a good crank.
I may take you up on that once I see how much of a mess this one is inside. I've found soooo much stuff either loose or installed wrong its not even funny. When I get this thing back together it will be in a LOT better shape.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First find out WHY the crank broke.
Absolutely! Pretty sure it was a hydrolock but not sure of the source of the hydro yet. Was it water from the owner cleaning it or is the head gasket bad? I will continue to go after the why.

We have rain moving in so I'm done for the weekend. I have everything disconnected. Only have to pull the bolts on the motor and stator mounts then give it a yank.

2019-03-30 17.56.28 (Medium).jpg2019-03-30 17.56.35 (Medium).jpg2019-03-30 18.18.27 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I ordered an engine today from Adelmans. I can't say it was a smooth transaction. What they call reman on the website is not remaned. The paperwork pretty much says they are selling you something with absolutely no guarantees. Send your money and take what we give you, that's it. When I asked specifically if the engines run or were tested the answer was that they don't know. All they could say is that they "look good on the outside". We shall see what shows up in the next week or so. I'll cross my fingers that I get one that works well.

I'm still going to pull this engine apart and see if its viable to rebuild. Plenty of lessons to share with the group I'm sure. If its good I'll get some parts together and see if I can make it a runner again.

Joe, any chance you have a crank AND a flywheel?

Last edited:

smokem joe

That's not real clear advertising! Hope you get a good one.

I do have a crank and flywheel. Speak quick if you want the flywheel though. I've had someone not on the forum asking about it. Flywheel is in good shape. Will have to pull crank to check before I say it's good.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Give it a look when you can. I'll drop you a note directly to work out the details. I'm going to get this thing apart this weekend so I can see if there is more than the crank bad. I will be surprised if it doesn't need a rod or two.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made a little progress today. It looks like a little progress but let me tell you it was a LOT more effort than it should have been. I need to replace my portable concrete pad (aka plywood). Its finally weathered enough to not stand up to the load.

SO.. Plan B was to suspend the engine/alternator and pull the generator frame out from under it. That worked. Only hurt myself once. Knocked the CRAP out of my knee with a 2x4. I know its going to turn funny colors in a day or so. BUT its done!

On the next good weather day I'll separate the engine from the alternator, mount the engine up on the stand, and get busy looking for carnage.

2019-04-04 18.54.54 (Medium).jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick update. The used engine will be delivered Friday afternoon. Fingers crossed it's a good one.

I have not been able to put any time into separating the old engine from the alternator because the afternoon showers have kept the red clay too messy to work on. Everything sinks in and won't move. As soon as I'm able to get something done I'll share the progress.

smokem joe

You don't need to use cherry picker to separate engine and gen head. Rotor and stator are manageable by hand if you in separate pieces. I wouldn't be able to move both together and you will need cherry picker or tractor for the engine!

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't say that I'm going to be very complimentary on the engine purchase. If this is what they call a "nice" one I would seriously consider spending your $$ elsewhere.

We've been getting heavy rain here so I put some extra plastic over it and ran back in the house. I'll take more photos tomorrow to better document what I received.

Attachments

smokem joe

This is what you are promised in the FB add.

View attachment 760873
I think I would have made them honor that. There are bait and switch laws in place and that is what they did to you. I once bought a used truck that was advertised for a good price. When I got there the dealer wouldn't honor the price, even with the add in the newspaper to prove what they advertised it for. As soon as I mentioned a call to a lawyer the next day for bait and switch tactics they became very cooperative

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Totally agree with ya Joe. I pushed but got nowhere. If this engine isn't a good runner I will turn it over to my CC company.

I hope this weather breaks and gives me an opportunity to at least get some photos. Right now it's not looking promising.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks